Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,557,000   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Maymia RB67 50mm: Which polarizer?

I need help with which polarizer to buy that won't vingette. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure if I can help since I use the Pentax 67. I use the Lee Holder with a Heliopan 105mm polarizer attached to the holder by means of a 105mm accesory ring. Moreover, the Lee Holder is mounted to my 45mm lens with the Lee Wide Angle Adaptor ring, which enables the Lee Holder to get closer to the lens front element in order to avoid vignette. I can use this setup in combination with ND grad in the Lee Holder without vignetting. My Pentax 55mm lens, on the other hand, does not vignette with a Heliopan 77mm slim polarizer which I screw directly onto the lens.
    جزاك الله خير

My website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Or start a Cokin 'P' system. 4" filters in a modular holder.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a standard Hoya MC Polorizer without vignetting, shooting Provia and Velvia.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm View Post
    I use a standard Hoya MC Polorizer without vignetting, shooting Provia and Velvia.
    I am assuming that is with the protection filter off if you are using one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Probably. If one starts stacking filters with wide-angles, vignetting can't be far behind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Yes NEVER stack filters. There is just no need to do that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never seen a polarizer on my RB camera lenses vignette in the corners. 50MM, 65MM, whatever.

& Never, never stack filters. Got it? Really!

David Pidcock

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you really get into a bind, what you can do is get a step up ring and put a larger polarizer on that. Granted, started from 77mm, you don't have too many (affordable) polarizers to step up to, but as a last resort... I do this sometimes with the 50mm lens on my mamiya 6, for obvious reasons.

A last ditch thing you can do with this and some other larger-size lenses (e.g. the fisheye) is mount the filter on the rear element. Obviously this is a pain because you have to take the lens off to adjust. But some filters are just too darn expensive for 77mm and beyond and it's worth the extra 30 seconds to make the adjustments and slip the lens back on. Also, my religion is that you can probably get by with uncoated filters on the the rear element. If you do mount on the rear, do take care to ensure that the mirror swings clear. You can do that by taking off the ground glass and inspecting it directly.

But, all said... I don't recall having any vignetting with a b+w linear polarizer on my 50. I don't remember testing it systematically at infinity focus and wide open though.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Or start a Cokin 'P' system. 4" filters in a modular holder.
    Not wanting to appear picky, me ol' fruit, but... Cokin P series filters are 3.25" square. Maybe you were thinking of the Lee filters ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin