Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,629   Online: 977

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mamiya 7ii (albeit no AF).

Film: Fuji or Kodak 160, Fuji pro h (400) and z (800) for c41; astia 100F and provia 400x for slides; fp4+ and hp5+ for b&w are my standards.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am finding that the new films (35mm) and lenses are so good that MF is becoming something of a dinosaur unless you print very large (16X20 and above). I love my SL66 for its tilting front and interchangable backs that make it more than just a bigger 35. But it's the only one hat does all that, makng it for me worth the tripod! I don't think I would bother with a 645 - not enough better than 35, and Hasselblad (I had several) won't do what the Rollei will it's just an oversize, slow roll film cameras that requires shutter CLA often!

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    I am finding that the new films (35mm) and lenses are so good that MF is becoming something of a dinosaur unless you print very large (16X20 and above). I don't think I would bother with a 645 - not enough better than 35,
    ..Have heard that argument before:6*4.5 being not enough better that 35mm.

I disagree based on my own experience (YMMV off course). In 35 mm I shoot Ilford Delta 400 at 250 ASa, souped in Xtol, Olympus OM4, standard 50mm Zuiko lens.

In 645 I shoot (shot, until it is repaired again..sniff) Bronica RF645 on HP5, Xtol at 250 ASA, 65 mm standard lens.

I see a big difference in being the 645 prints sharper, smoother tonality, less grain (and I print these negs larger than the 35mm ones).

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    I am finding that the new films (35mm) and lenses are so good that MF is becoming something of a dinosaur...
    Haven't people teen telling this for decades?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't people been telling this for decades?

Yep they were wrong then they're wrong now- just try Delta 3200 in 120 then 35mm. RJS experiences aren't mirrored by me.
    I use 35mm for when I need fast operation or a film that I can't get in 120. The tonality and superiority are visible even in smaller prints with a good MF camera if you can stand the slower operation of some cameras.
    My Rolleiflex has a better quality than my M4-P, of that there can be no doubt. The lenses on the Leica are superb but can't match in quality/price ratio most MF cameras.
    In fact 35mm is being supplanted by other capture mediums for me except for Kodachrome and faster speed B&W. Fine if you're in love with the miniature format aesthetic or a certain camera but remember those improved 35mm films are also often available in 120 where they create an amazing quality image.

Of course personal style, and preferences dictate most peoples options, but to state 35mm is as good as MF quality wise is false.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agreed - I love m 35mm kit, but no comparison to my MF negs.

To the OP - Pentax 67ii is most like a overgrown 35mm SLR than any other system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin