Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,432   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

MF camera like Nikon F4

I had a good time shooting my 35mm Nikon F4 today, and I am trying to find a MF camera similar to the F4 in that it need not be totally electronic (i.e. OK to have dedicated knobs for everything, no menus on LCD screen)

I really need one with auto exposure, and would prefer AF, but that isnt critical. A camera with easy to load film and auto-advance film would be helpful to me. Any suggestions?

Also, what kind of film do you recommend for MF?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pentax 6x7 will fit your need

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax 67, Pentacon Six, Kiev 60, and other similar cameras would be a good place to start. If you truly need all that auto stuff, perhaps a newer AF 645 would be the ticket...but here is a hint that will save you lots of money and get you much better results: You DON'T need all that stuff.

Edit: BTW, many medium format SLRs have not only metering prisms available, but also auto exposure prisms. Lack of auto focus is really the deal killer for most of them if going by your criteria.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-13-2009 at 01:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 645 will give you every thing except AF. Fairly cheap.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mamiya 645. Low cost if manual focusing is ok, AF is also available but AF-bodys and lenses are more pricey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Contax 645 has everything you mentioned.
    But you should be aware that all AF MF cameras are slow compared to a sophisticated 35mm SLR.
    I think the prices for used and "like new" Contax equipment are really fair in these days but I don´t know how much you are able and willing to spend. They do not build this camera anymore since 2005 but it still can be serviced.
    I would recommend simply to use the same film as you do with 35mm ;-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Once you add autofocus to your requirements, then you also add electronics, which usually includes autoexposure, LCD screens, etc. And as others said, you push up the price considerably.

Maybe you should simply look for a simpler camera with all manual controls. Medium format requires (or should require) more careful thought, because you get fewer shots per roll -- unless your shooting 220 with a 6x4.5 camera. Actually, all photography should require careful thought.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most MF cameras concentrate on the very few parameters that need to be set, trying not to put a mass of unintelligible 'modes' and 'automatisms' between the camera and the photographer.
    So you get to set the shutterspeed, the aperture and focus. That's it. Child's play.
    Once you get to deal with cameras at that level again, keeping photography as simple as it really is, you really don't need auto-thingies anymore.

But if you want auto-everything, and a manual that takes months to read from cover to cover, a Hasselblad H-series camera may be the thing for you.

I'd recommended Kodak Portra NC for colour, Kodak T-Max for black and white.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Pentax 645N will do everything you ask. The original 645 did not AF but the 645N does. good selection of lenses and about the size and weight of a Nikon F5.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei 6008AF

Auto exposure, auto focus, easy to load and auto advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin