Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 749

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Bronica SQA with a metered prism as well as a Mamiya RB with a metered prism. The Bronica is by far the easier to use and got some great shots hand held from a moving boat with it and the metered prism is easier to use than the RB's. The Mamiya does have some jaw dropping lenses and is great for macro stuff, but it is heavy to lug around the back woods. Keep in mind I'm 62 years old. I prefer the 6X6 format but the 6X7 aspect ratio is great for a lot of things. Bottom line? With the prices as low on outfits and components I'd keep the RB and put together an SQA outfit for when you want something lighter and more handy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the compliments. Sideways would have been possible come to think of it, but at the time, I didn't. Upside down was not possible. It was an Indian made Ambassador car, a replica of a 1950's Morris. It is a comfortable car but since I am 2.03 meters tall, the cabin is a bit small for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find the mamiya 6 to be a perfect alternative to my rb and rz, if I want portability (and considerably better performance at 50mm, actually). The 645 pro is also a good option, if you aren't averse to the aspect ratio. But in terms of MF ergonomics and bang per pound, the mamiya 6/6mf/7/7ii cameras are perhaps unbeatable. I mean, if I were stuck on an island with a supply of film and only one camera, that camera would be a mamiya 6, no question.

Richard I need to loan you one of my 6es! Especially now that your back is out
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd keep the RB and put together an SQA outfit for when you want something lighter and more handy.
    This is exactly what I was thinking, and get a sports finder for the RB.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would love to have both. However, getting everything I need for a darkroom has already destroyed by bank account, even with the ridiculously deflated prices of darkroom equipment. When you work one day a week on near-minimum wage, its pretty difficult to buy anything. The money I used to buy the RB67 actually came out of a savings account that I probably shouldn't have touched.

As for a mamiya 6 or 7, I'd prefer to have an SLR over a rangefinder, mostly for the sake of DOF preview and macro photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a side note, when I went and got a 6x6 folder (Z-I Nettar), I was amazed when I processed the film how many times I turned the camera 90 degrees to take a shot. I have no excuse, I have owned a C220 TLR for 15 years.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you already have an RB, i think there is no point in getting a 6x6 SLR as well.

You'd do better either adding a much smaller camera (6x4.5 rangefinder or such), or replacing the RB with a 6x6 SLR (the thing you said you were considering).
    But both?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin