Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,178   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya leaf shutter problems.

I hope someone who owns a Mamiya 645 150mm leaf shutter lens can give me some advice! I bought one a while ago but haven't been able to use it.

Basically, I cocked the shutter but the shutter remains firmly closed! (It should have opened when it was cocked by turning the cocking-ring.) I've never actually had the shutter open and I guess it's jammed. It was a while before I tried to use the lens because I was hoping to find some instructions for it. (I've used an RB leaf-shutter lens in the past but it was a long while ago...) I did find an instruction booklet for the Mamiya 70mm leaf-shutter, which is similar but not quite the same. As far as I can see, I'm doing everything correctly but getting nowhere. Without the instructions for the specific lens it's hard to know if I am doing something wrong!

Any suggestions? All advice gratefuuly received!
    Thanks, in hope and anticipation, Ann.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann,
    Have you tried Mamiyas website for the instructions?
    I was thinking(?) about this & was wondering if the lens has a release lever inside the lens mount. It's been too long since I've seen one to be familiar with it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the reply! Yes, there is a lever inside the lens but it isn't doing anything...
    I tried Mamiya's website some time ago - no instructions there so I emailed customer services. I got a reply quickly from someone who clearly was not very familiar with it. The lens is the older 'C' version and I guess things have changed too much since!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann, it sounds like it is time to take it to a repairman and have a clean, lube and adjust [CLA].

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I fiddled with a few leaf shutter lenses on my M645, but it always felt like a kludge. So I sold it off and now use leaf shutter systems only.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think your both probably right...The lens is still under guarantee, so it looks as if it's going back. Even if I did get it working, it could probably stick again. Oh, well...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello APUG,

ok, this thread has been "unused" for quite a while, nevertheless I'd like to "reactivate" it, instead of opening a new one.
    Currently I am facing a dilemma I quite can't explain:
    my Mamiya RB67 Sekor C 127mm 3.8 lens suddenly went berserk. Ever since I owned it, it did not make any problems during cocking and firing. It has been used regularly by the way and has always been stored with an uncocked shutter. Today the shutter leafs refuse to close once the mirror flips up, though. It seems as if they were stuck, like it happens to old shutters which have not been used for quite a while. Anyway the shutter itself fires perfectly (so it is just that time the leafs have to close during "mirror" up, they just don't move, the Seiko itself snaps swell...)
    How could that happen? The lens has not been dropped, is stored as always (in my room, dry and not too cold/warm) and was used regularly. Can the lubricants get stuck from one day to another so I "just" have to get a CLA or could anything worse have happened?

Thanks for any kind of help!

P.S.: Just fits into a series of misshaps... ...my newly aquired SekorC 250mm went to the repair shop yesterday. So why not having all my camera gear out for repair?!? It really gets me upset...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it's probably oil and gunk on the iris blades that's causing it to stick but I can't see how you'll find out exactly what's wrong with your lens unless you send it to be serviced, and let a qualified technician strip it down and look at it.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-13-2010 at 09:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It can be a spring that returns the blades to their closed position let go.

Well how old is the lens or lesnes? When was the last time you sent em in for servie? I'll bet the l;enses have only been to the shop once in their 30 year histories.

How many times in 30 years have you been to the doctor? How many times has your car been to the repair shop in 30 years? Got it now?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Well how old is the lens or lesnes? When was the last time you sent em in for servie? I'll bet the l;enses have only been to the shop once in their 30 year histories.

How many times in 30 years have you been to the doctor? How many times has your car been to the repair shop in 30 years? Got it now?
    To be honest, I can't quite get the last part, since I do not have 30 years of age yet and I do not own a car (just a Vespa, which I can repair on my own) *haha*. Ok, to quit kidding: I got your point and I agree with you. I just asked because I was afraid that anything really nasty could have happened, since it all happened just from one second to the other.

Since I own that lens for only about half a year right now, I can't tell you how often it has been sent to a service. Of course the prior owner stated that he allways cared about service and that he was the only owner of the lens in all time. But *hehe*, try to proove that .

Thanks for your replies. I'd better not check my bank-account next week, it'll surely not amuse me .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin