Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,198   Online: 853
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhall View Post
    The big problem now is to show you what it looks like.
    Well, I don't personally have an image of what it looks like (what a way to waste a frame of film...), but I can show you what a view through such a lens (with some element separation) looks like - all the images I posted above

    This is the best example I could find thus far: Look at the edges of the lens.

    (source)

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Well, I don't personally have an image of what it looks like (what a way to waste a frame of film...), but I can show you what a view through such a lens (with some element separation) looks like - all the images I posted above

    This is the best example I could find thus far: Look at the edges of the lens.

    (source)
    I think that is a pretty darn good illustration, and to me that one is getting sort of on the bad side.

    BTW, very nice photos in this thread. The first one is an excellent example. Nice work and good write up. I would love to have one, but my needs right now lean much more to needing a 55mm.

    Jason
    Last edited by jasonhall; 08-06-2009 at 12:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhall View Post
    I would love to have one, but my needs right now lean much more to needing a 55mm.
    Jason, you mean a 50mm (or 65mm)? They can be found quite reasonably, cheaper than the 140 Macro it seems. Good luck in finding one! Also, just for fun, I posted here on how the 50 actually makes a very good Macro lens for certain types of subjects :-)

    The 65mm is optically better than the 50mm, but the 50mm is a lot of fun due to the very much wider angle of view (the difference is substantial).

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Jason, you mean a 50mm (or 65mm)? They can be found quite reasonably, cheaper than the 140 Macro it seems. Good luck in finding one! Also, just for fun, I posted here on how the 50 actually makes a very good Macro lens for certain types of subjects :-)

    The 65mm is optically better than the 50mm, but the 50mm is a lot of fun due to the very much wider angle of view (the difference is substantial).

    To be honest, I don't know the lens line up nearly enough. I knew it was "50 something". I have the normal 90mm and the 180mm, both C lens. I use the 90mm almost all of the time. I am not normally into landscapes, but this camera and the way it forces me to use it, screams landscape! Also doing still lifes indoors of old buildings. It became very clear to me that I needed a wider lens. The 65mm may fit the bill. I am really not sure what will be best for me.

    Thanks

    Jason

  5. #15
    R/D
    R/D is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    19
    Would anyone recommend the 140mm for portraiture at all ?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    420
    Images
    3
    I've read that its excellent for portraits because you can do close-ups as well as normal portraits. The only thing you probably would want a different lens for is full-body portraits, since the lens's 140mm focal length puts it between a normal and telephoto lens. You'd have to back up really far to get a full body shot.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    175
    What are you looking for in a Portrait lens? Very sharp, or something a little more soft and less contrasty?
    Last edited by jasonhall; 08-07-2009 at 11:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: ?

  8. #18
    R/D
    R/D is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    19
    I would like something sharp. Most of the portraits I would take would probably be head shots and from the midsection up. Although I could use the soft focus on the 150mm I really need a lens to be sharp at all stops for closeup work such as still life objects and non macro detail work such as tree bark etc. I wish one could use the 150 without the soft focus disks while still maintaining sharpness but that is not the case. One of my main subjects is cemeteries and I need to isolate headstones and monuments from cluttered backgrounds while maintaining maximum sharpness.

  9. #19
    luis ducoing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mexico
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    13
    Philosomaphotographer Do you think that this exelent information also applies to the RZ 140 macro? I am debating between the RZ 140 and the RZ 150 3.5

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,503
    Images
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by R/D View Post
    I would like something sharp. Most of the portraits I would take would probably be head shots and from the midsection up. Although I could use the soft focus on the 150mm I really need a lens to be sharp at all stops for closeup work such as still life objects and non macro detail work such as tree bark etc. I wish one could use the 150 without the soft focus disks while still maintaining sharpness but that is not the case. One of my main subjects is cemeteries and I need to isolate headstones and monuments from cluttered backgrounds while maintaining maximum sharpness.
    1.) I don't find the 150SF that soft when used without the disks. Not the sharpest lens in the collection, but not bad. But...

    2.) There are two lens on either side that are incredibly cheap and will do what you need them to do. The 127 and the 180 are both very sharp and will work with whatever your needs are withing the cemetery world.

    tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin