Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,027   Online: 997

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hotton View Post
    Does anyone know what the exposure would be required on the surface of the moon sunlit side? Is it brighter than EV 15, sunny f16 rule?
    Sam H.
    Best way is to take a piece of grass in the shadow and set it into zone V.
    Or measure the clouds.

It is closer to the sun, so maybe it's 1/10 stop higher than on earth.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Zone System on the moon, great! Also the question comes to mind wheter or not reduced gravity will affect mirror slap issues.

The lack of atmosphere is the main issue. I think its much more than a 1/10 stop difference.
    Remember, we can use the reflected light of the moon for taking photographs on earth.
    This light source has just about 30 arc minutes of diameter - so it must be pretty bright up there. I bet they used some strong ND filters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sun to Earth: 149x10^6 km, Earth to moon: 384x10^3 km so the moon will be at less than 1/500 closer to or further from the sun as it orbits earth, most of the time a lot less. So we're talking about a ratio of illumination from the sun of 1.002^2 or 0.998^2, which is basically none whatsoever.

Atmospheric attenuation on a clear sunny day is likewise fairly irrelevant in the visual bands, otherwise you wouldn't be able to easily see 20km from the top of a mountain! There's not much atmosphere above 20km and pretty much all of it above 2km is thinner and cleaner than the grubby bottom-1km that you're looking through horizontally. I think the main difference would be that blue light will not be scattered out and then back in from another direction - better colour balance between the bright and shadowed sides of things with perhaps a more blue cast overall but probably less than you'd adjust out while printing.

Sunny-16 rule would work fine outside the vehicles I'm sure. I understand that moon rock is pretty pale stuff though and we're also taking photos of white spacesuits and spacecraft, so maybe they used a bit less exposure than sunny-16 to prevent blown highlights... but in some of those shots you can see the bright side of the suits are blown so maybe not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pictures can only be taken during the 14 earth day Lunar daylight. At other times, the surface of the moon that we can visit and see is only illuminated by reflected earthlight and is too cold for our astronauts and so we only visit during the lunar "day". This will eventually change, but that is the way it was. As for the light, the UV was one of the big problems as it was hard to guage the effect on color film. The normal metering system would work otherwise, so the cameras had HA-3 (High Altitude 3) UV or equivalent over the lens.

NASA has announced that they have erased some 1,000 or more video tapes of the data from the Apollo flights, and the USAF has lost most of the photos taken from ground based cameras. The University of Central Florida is working with groups of us who worked there at the time to estimate how much was lost and what can be recovered. No one knows why these historical documents got such treatment.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    NASA has announced that they have erased some 1,000 or more video tapes of the data from the Apollo flights, and the USAF has lost most of the photos taken from ground based cameras. The University of Central Florida is working with groups of us who worked there at the time to estimate how much was lost and what can be recovered. No one knows why these historical documents got such treatment.

PE
    A terrible loss and yet the digisnappers tell us that their photographs will last forever without backing up the files!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    NASA has announced that they have erased some 1,000 or more video tapes of the data from the Apollo flights, and the USAF has lost most of the photos taken from ground based cameras. *****No one knows why these historical documents got such treatment.*****
    PE
    Aaaah....that would be to fuel the next generation of lame conspiracy documentaries of how the moon shots were a hoax and new analysis techniques would have revealed the truth. :0

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tapes that still exist are undergoing enhancement under contract to NASA. Some are complete. So far, they have gotten good reviews.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At a recent photo exhibit I read that during a NASA mission one of the astronauts accidentally let go of a Hasselblad, which is now orbiting the earth. Take that Sputnik!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    At a recent photo exhibit I read that during a NASA mission one of the astronauts accidentally let go of a Hasselblad, which is now orbiting the earth. Take that Sputnik!
    That was along time ago. It probably de-orbited already and burned up in a brief but spectacular fireball.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...tos/index.html

You've gotta love the NY Times. Even though they no longer even have a darkroom in the building, they keep on giving us access to some great photos; either via their Lens blog or articles like this.

Rick
    I wonder if the studio, where NASA shot the images with the H-blad, is still available for another landing. I understand that NASA destroyed 45 original, downloaded videotapes of the moon landing. Supposedly, it was a grave mistake, or was it just a case of destroying the evidence. Sure is lucky, that NASA still has the H-blad images. I notice that the image of the landing foot shows that there wasn't any moon dust on the landing pad. I find it surprising that the radiation, that exists on the moon didn't damage the MF film. It is a shame that they didn't return with the H-blad, so that someone could examine the camera for dust and radiation contamination, and see how the film was protected from the radiation. There is a long history of LBJ lies, like his his silver star award, college days, Kennedy assasination cover-ups, and the Tonkin Gulf incident. It will knock you over if you go ahead and read some books on the LBJ biography. The moon landing is just another LBJ manufactured lie. I personally, don't believe there were any moon landings.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin