Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,990   Posts: 1,633,077   Online: 830

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I frequently use a tripod, still not as satisfied with the sharpness of the negatives compared to some of my old Prime Nikkors for 35mm. I will however check the seating of my focusing screen as suggested here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's not forget that sample-to-sample variation in the performance of lenses of the same make and model tends can be considerable. Photographic lenses are complex devices requiring precision manufacture. Critical tolerances between lens elements are often down to a couple tens of micron. Mistakes are inevitable. Wear and tear over time can also affect performance.

I recall an old-timer who used to work for Draper Labes as a photographer telling me that whenever they needed to purchase a new Mamiya RB lens they "bought three to keep one". Sample-to-sample variation tended to be extreme in that system, even through the 1980s.

So Ole might have been lucky where you were not. One unfortunate aspect of Bronica systems is that, at least in the USA, they are all but invisible in the rental departments of major camera stores. Therefore it is not always easy to casually acquire an additional sample of your lens with which to verify performance.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a set of MC primes. I find the sharpness to be excellent.

I played with the idea of picking up a PE 75mm to replace my 75mm MC. But my current lens performs so well that it's a hard sell.
    Dan O'Rourke
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Shooter
    35mm
    My only PE lens is a 75/2.8. All the other ETR series lenses I have are MC types. They are all good. In the SQ series I have a 50/3.5 PS, an 80/2.8 PS, an 80/2.8 S and a 150/4 PS. I can't see a difference between the two 80mm lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two ETRSi bodies and a whole case of lenses of all types. My desktop background is a shot taken with the Zenza Bronica 500 mm lens with a 2x telextender on Portra 120 and using a tripod.

It is sharp as a tack and is one of my favorites. It is the waterfall across the road from the Formulary in Montana taken there during one of our visits. I have another shot of a friend's home across Conesus Lake outside Rochester taken the same way. The house was miles away.

These are wonderful lenses regardless of the version.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cropline: I have the 45-90 as well and find it's not as sharp as my 150 PE. It's a very nice lens though and the primary lens on that camera for me. It's macro focus range is wonderful. I would certainly recommend some primes to go alongside it, however, as it's not the sharpest lens I've used and, for me, typically is used for its versatility and would probably not be put to use in a studio situation.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could anyone tell me what a good/fair second hand price would be for a ETRS 50mm MC lens?

I'm on the lookout for one and don't want to get scammed as I'm still a noob when it comes to medium format.

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    tripod. right thing to do.

I don't know for 645 bronicas but I think the mirror slap on my SQ-A is less dampened than on other MF cameras I use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I have both lenses plus the 200mm, all are very sharp indeed, wide open or stopped down, I suggest you try F11, which seems to be the best aperture with both 75 and 50 lenses,Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin