Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,030   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bronica ETRS LENSES

Does anyone have experience with the 75mm PE lens or the 50mm PE,lens as far as sharpness goes on the ETRS.
    I recently shot a roll of portra 160 NC and the negatives seem less than tack sharp.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought my first Bronica ETRS in about 1981, the lenses at that time were the MC series. I remember the first time I put a B&W negative from my first roll in the enlarger and used the 10x magnifier to focus. I was disappointed as the negatives seemed less sharp than those of my 1960s era Nikkor 105mm F2.5 lens (which was razor sharp). But as I made 11x14 and 16x20 prints, I came to appreciate the benefits of the larger negative. Sold the ETRS system during a divorce in the late 80s.

In the last 6 months I have purchased ETRS equipment from evilb@y, and do have the 50, 75, and 150 PE lenses. Subjectively I would say they are a bit sharper than the MC, but not worth the difference if I had to pay "new" prices. I still do not think they are as sharp as some of my old Nikkor lenses, but I still get great enlargements, I like the shallower Depth of Field (compared to 35mm) and am glad to be back in the darkroom again. I have also recently purchased some 6x9 "folders", like the Franka Rolfix with Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar lens, and though they are only around $50-75 evilb@y, the negatives are 2x larger than the Bronica's 6x4.5, and I love the 11x14 prints from the Rolfix, I think they rival prints from Bronica, though lens choices are non-existent. I like the soft edges when shot wide open, and stopped down to F8 or F11 images are sharp all over. Now I always keep a "folder" in my camera bag and take it wherever I go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should no problems with the 75 or 50 mm PE lenses as far as sharpness is concerned.
    Have you tested with a tripod?
    If you prefer handheld photography, the culprit is most likely camera shake if the shutter speed is slow.
    A handheld camera is only as good as the human tripod.
    Working without a lenshood can also degrade image quality considerably. I never work without it.
    I have used both lenses professionally for many years with excellent results.

Marcus

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    One other thing to check is that your focusing screen is securely in place.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the record, the primary benefit of the PE over the earlier E series was improved flare resistance / contrast at or near wide open apertures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup the 75mm should be fine. If you focused it well.
    Even the 50mm shouldn't be an issue.

Which finder did you use? F/stop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp1961 View Post
    I bought my first Bronica ETRS in about 1981, the lenses at that time were the MC series. I remember the first time I put a B&W negative from my first roll in the enlarger and used the 10x magnifier to focus. I was disappointed as the negatives seemed less sharp than those of my 1960s era Nikkor 105mm F2.5 lens (which was razor sharp). But as I made 11x14 and 16x20 prints, I came to appreciate the benefits of the larger negative. Sold the ETRS system during a divorce in the late 80s.

In the last 6 months I have purchased ETRS equipment from evilb@y, and do have the 50, 75, and 150 PE lenses. Subjectively I would say they are a bit sharper than the MC, but not worth the difference if I had to pay "new" prices. I still do not think they are as sharp as some of my old Nikkor lenses, but I still get great enlargements, I like the shallower Depth of Field (compared to 35mm) and am glad to be back in the darkroom again. I have also recently purchased some 6x9 "folders", like the Franka Rolfix with Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar lens, and though they are only around $50-75 evilb@y, the negatives are 2x larger than the Bronica's 6x4.5, and I love the 11x14 prints from the Rolfix, I think they rival prints from Bronica, though lens choices are non-existent. I like the soft edges when shot wide open, and stopped down to F8 or F11 images are sharp all over. Now I always keep a "folder" in my camera bag and take it wherever I go.
    I have the 45-90 f/4-5.6.Its pretty sharp,but not a prime as you have listed.Use it on a tripod only.If I may ask,how is viewfinder brightness w/an f/2.8 or f/3.5 lens? Am considering the PE 50 and PE 150 purchase.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got the 75mm PE and the 50mm MC. Both are wonderfully sharp and I have no problems with them. Focus screen issue is an important factor to check, I had the problem once before that my focus screen was not well seated, I check it regularly now. Second thing is that it's not always easy to focus with these lenses, especially if you are shooting an object that is near infinity for your lens and you are using a low f-number. you think it's in infinity but it's just not making it less sharp. Check the distance on your lens and on your object.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the full set of prime lenses from 40mm to 250mm, and they are all amazingly sharp.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Set up the camera on a tripod, with the back opened and a GG on the film plane. Focus the camera on a well lit target via the focusing screen, then using a loupe check the GG on the gilm plane. If it's not tack sharp, your screen needs to be calibrated. Some people change the screens without considering the film plane to screen focusing. Not all screens are the same ands shouldn't be swapped out at random.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin