Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,875   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

500C/M focusing improvements - screen and/or viewfinder?

Just got a nice 500C/M (my first) with a WLF and I'm having the darndest time focusing the thing. I've had a Bronica SQ-A for a while now and find it easier to focus than the Hasselblad.

The 500's focusing screen has faint grid lines with a circular center area that looks like a microprism, but the prism-ness (for lack of a better word) of that area is almost imperceptible. Even with the magnifier I can barely tell when things are in focus. It's also rather dim.

I'm wondering if a newer screen would help. From what I've read, the Acute-matte D screens are supposed to be quite nice and much brighter. Also thinking that one with a microprism and split-screen would make things easier, but I'm worried about cluttering up the viewfinder. Will the Acute-Matte D screens fit the 500C/M?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the Acute-Matte D screen will fit. I had an Acute-Matte D screen with the split screen that came with my 503 CX. I found that on the longer focal length lenses that it could be hard to see the ring if my eye was not properly lined up or the scene was dim. I brought an Acute-Matte D screen without the split screen and I am much happier.

YMMV

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These things are pretty personal I suppose. I have an A-M D screen with the split screen on my 503 and find it very bright and easy to focus. I don't find that it clutters up the viewfinder.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The split prism and acute matte with make things a lot easier where focusing is concerned.
    I have a 503cxi and it has the Acute matte with grid and split prism. These are hard to find (read: expensive) but mine came with the body when i bought it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all, I just ordered one with the microprism and split screen from keh. You're right, they're not cheap! Looking forward to trying it out.

You'll love it. I swear that the image on the screen looks brighter than the actual scene.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post
    Thanks all, I just ordered one with the microprism and split screen from keh. You're right, they're not cheap! Looking forward to trying it out.
    Good work. Let us know how you go. It certainly works wonders for me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Acute-Matte screen by all means - there are 4 different ones that I am aware of. Are you using the waist level viewer? Check out a prism viewfinder PM5. There are also eyepieces for it with vision corrections. You might even locate a reflex viewfinder RM2 which gives a 3x but unreversed image and can be focused +/- to adjust for your vision.
    Jeffreyg

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kiev/Arsat screens fit H'blad bodies: I replaced my Acute Matte D with one on my 503CW. Very inexpensive and excellent quality IMHO!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Kiev/Arsat screens fit H'blad bodies: I replaced my Acute Matte D with one on my 503CW. Very inexpensive and excellent quality IMHO!
    Hi Philippe,
    would you have a source for Kiev/Arsat screens? Just checked the price tag for original Hasselblad screens, and they are outside my price range.

Thanks
    Søren
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin