Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 800

Thread: Depth of Field

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Depth of Field

I seem to have fallen in love with f/4 on my Canon 50mm f/1.4 FD. My question is that what aperture on my (medium format) Mamiya Sekor C 80mm will give the same depth of field as the (small format) 50mm at f/4 and what is the sharpest point for the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find this site quite useful for DOF, www.dofmaster.com
    No idea with Mamiya Sekor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those lenses are totally different. So their bokeh won't exactly be the same. Experience is the best teacher, just shoot a roll and see if it gives you want you're looking for.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree. It might be f/5.6 or f/8, but either way, different lens designs will yield different characteristics. It's one of those things that you'll only learn through experience -- often known as trial and error (or in my case, just error).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The same DOF at ~f6.8, but experiment with a roll of film and find the one you like the best.

Optimum resolution should be around f11 +/- 1 stop. Print out a resolution chart and put it in the test roll you shoot, above. Finding the best aperture doesn't require anything fancy in a resolution chart, it's pretty obvious where the sharpest apertures are.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Plus the distance from the subject changes the DOF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good rule of thumb is to match absolute aperture size; ie around 12mm. You can look in the lenses side-by-side and get a rough guide. You can also calculate it as others have indicated (around f6 to f7 on your 80mm).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin