Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,100   Online: 906

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's funny when I first started becoming interested in photography my dad got me a Kodak Brownie that took 620 film. I was about 12. He showed me how to develop my own film and print a contact sheet. Eventually when he figured I had something worth printing he let me use his enlarger (a DeJur). He had a 35 mm SLR (Exakta, the good one with Zeiss glass) and a Rollei TLR. He couldn't understand why I was always drooling over the TLR and not this sexing SLR he had. Eventually he let me step up to the Rollei.

I still have the Rollei and it works like new. It's had a ton of film thru it over the years and has got some impressive frequent flyer miles. I still have the old Brownie too. Just wish I could find some 620 film for it. Since the Holga rage I have been interested in generating some nice fuzzy pictures.

When I started using 35mm seriously I bought a fixed lens RF rather than a SLR. It wasn't until I got into newspaper work that I finally broke down and bought a Nikon SLR. That's only because we had a pool of lenses we could use.

Some much for the trip down memory lane! I've never been one for the main stream, so it's no surprise I love my TLR and LF gear.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess I'm sort of a born again TLR fan. After using 35mm for years I got a Mamiya 645 a couple years ago for the bigger negatives. Once I started working with those I wanted a less expensive MF camera to lug around and was lucky to acquire a near-pristine Yashica D with a decent example of the Yashinon lens (some users report terribly soft corners, but I haven't had that problem). The simplicity of that camera is leading me to want to get rid of everything I have that isn't fully manual. I now understand why my father - my first photography teacher - gladly gave his 35mm equipment to me and sang the praises of his Minolta Autocord. He said it was the only camera he would ever use again. When he died I discovered its joys, and would still be today if some a**hole hadn't broken into my home and stolen it.

This then leads to a question for all you TLR fans around here: I want to eventually get a TLR with better glass than the Yashica. I want to stay with 120/220 format. I will use it in a variety of situations (landscape/studio portraits and anything in between). Mostly black&white but some color. So if it was you, what would you pick and why. Rollei with Zeiss? Rollei with Schneider? Mamiya 220? Another Autocord?

Looking forward to your input!
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My Rollei has the Zeiss lens. It's sharper than my Blad 80mm and just as contrasty.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [quote="noblebeast"]
    I now understand why my father - my first photography teacher - gladly gave his 35mm equipment to me and sang the praises of his Minolta Autocord. He said it was the only camera he would ever use again. When he died I discovered its joys, and would still be today if some a**hole hadn't broken into my home and stolen it.

Your father was a wise man. I started my photography nearly 30 years ago using LF and after less that 1 year I purchased my first Autocord for £10 sterling followed by a second within 2 years for £35 sterling and used them for the first 15 years of my photographic life. All of my friends had Hassleblads and Bronicas and we couldn't see a great difference in the quality of the final prints we made. Eventually one of my Autocords gave up and I used it for spares for the other until I felt that I needed the facility of interchangeable lens and purchased a Mamiya 645 and a range of lens that I still use today.

The Autocord is safely tucked away in my house and is considered a trusted friend, having shared some wonderful times with me. Not wishing to sound morbid, I intend to go to meet my maker with my friend, and yes there will be a roll of my favourite black and white film in it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    The Autocord is safely tucked away in my house and is considered a trusted friend, having shared some wonderful times with me. Not wishing to sound morbid, I intend to go to meet my maker with my friend, and yes there will be a roll of my favourite black and white film in it.
    Les, I know that day is still a long way off, but don't forget a lens shade - I'm willing to bet that those gold-paved streets can cause a tremendous amount of lens flare.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "It's funny when I first started becoming interested in photography my dad got me a Kodak Brownie that took 620 film"

Like you, Eric, my father gave me a Brownie 620 when I on my 11th birthday(circa 1950), mainly so I would quit playing with my mother's Kodak Tourist 620. I couldn't keep up with the processing costs so the next Christmas I was presented with a Kodak developing kit to process the film and contact print the negs on paper that was so insensitive that you could handle it in subdued room light and the printer had a 100 watt bulb! I have been involved with photography ever since, in spite of other distractions such as medical school, etc. I combined all the cash graduation presents I received and used them to purchase an Olympus Pen F which I loved until it died some years later. Thanks to the Army I was able to get into Nikon equipment while stationed in the far East. Now I have 35mm, 6x6, and 4x5 and enjoy using each of them. My favorite is 6x6 which allows portability and a good negative size for my meager darkroom efforts.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    About a year ago I was going through my old photos when I noticed that the best work I had ever done was with my Yashica 635. In as much as I was about to retire and was considering starting up my old hobby of photography, set about buying a complete Yashica outfit. I now have three 124G with extra lens and close ups lens. Anything I could find on E bay; including an Omega 4x5 enlarger. Well long story short I'm still impressed with the Yashica's and photography has never been so satifying.
    Like so many others I've had a selection of 35mm SLR, none of which has been all that impressive, I keep them around so my daughter can borrow them from me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin