Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,932   Online: 856

That is the question. I bought an older 500c/m body and took a close look at the focusing screen, it was filthy! Fingerprints, dirt and scum. I find it hard to believe they are handeled in that way. Can they be cleaned safely?

Rene

Images
    I'm not a hassy user, but if the screen can pop out like my Mamiya used to, just clean it with windex. There is a thread on cleaning groundglass that I started a while back in the Large Format forum. You can search for it.
    hi!

I believe you'll find that there are two pins that jut out holding the screen in place. Simply push them in with your finger and pop out the focusing screen. Sometimes you can just turn the camera upside down and it will fall out. If it is cruddy, a small screwdriver or fingernail file will get it out.

Clean it with windex or lens cleaning solution and place it back in. When you slide the viewer back in, it will automatically cause the pins to slide back in place.

When the screen is out it easy to clean the mirror at the same time.

Oh I should mention, it is not a good idea to spray windex or anything else into the camera. You're better off to spray it on cleaning tissue or a cloth and clean these parts that way.

Hope this helps,

Michael MCBlane

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin