Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,116   Online: 849

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, here be a Hassy Specific Question: The difference between the 120 macro and the 135?

Can I achieve similar results with my wee 80mm and extension tube(s)?

Cheers!
    ka

ka...
    the 120 plannar macro is a great over all lense. but the unique point of this lense is that it is optimized as well for the close focus distance. i think that this is one among three lenses i know of this kind (the others are - the apo-ronars from rodenstok and the leica m 90 macro). this plannar is one of the best lenses.
    the 80 plannar is not optimized for such thing. so the quality will not be up to the 120mm macro. but there is another differance - the field of view. the 80mm is wider one.
    so.. if u want the best quality in the close range than it is the 120mmmacro. if u want wider and dont need the best quality etc than u can use the extenssion.
    the 135mm lense is not femiliar to me at all.

note - the plannar 80 in my opinion is among the best lense u can have, but it is not really optimized for the close ups.
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From the Hasselblad Lens Catalog:

"Makro-Planar CF f/4 120mm:

Te designation "Makro" reveals that this lens possses an optimum image correction at close range. It is a lens to be recommended when maximum corner-to-corner quality is demanded in close-up work, especially when photographing flat copy, where high contrast is also a requirement.
    This lens consists of 6 elements in four groups arranged around almost symmetrically to the iris diaphram. The Makro-Planar lens perfroms best in the region of slightly reduced imaging of the subject.
    The shortest focusing distance of 0.8 m (reproduction ratio of 1:4.5) can be set using the helical focusing mount. By inserting the Hasselblad extension tube 32 the macro range can be increased to 1:2."

This lens is "optimized" that is, designed with a specific parameter in mind: Close-up photography. It *will* focus to infinity, and I *doubt* (a bunch!!) that Zeiss would allow it to go that far if it was a significant "failure" at that distance.

The 135 is a different animal:

"Makro-Planar CF f/5.6 135mm:

The 135 Makro-Planar f/5.6 lens has no focusing ring and is designed for use with a bellows extension or a variable extension tube.
    With the bellows, the focusing range of the lens is contiuous from infinity down to 1:1; lifesize magnification.
    Like the 120 mm Makro-Planar lens the 135 mm is optimally corrected for close-up work, but it is also an excellent lens for general photography where maximum image quality and freedom from distortion are required."

So the major difference in terms of use is that the 120 mm will stand alone, and can be "accessorized" with tubes and/or bellows; the 135 mm MUST be used with a bellows or "Variable" extension tube - both of which are not inexpensive (remember that "Hasselblad" in Swedish, like "Zeiss" in German, translates to "Hoo, boy!! - *expensive*), and are somewhat heavy and a trifle clumsy.

Can the run-of-the-mill 80mm Planar be used "satisfactorily" with bellows, tubes. or "Proxar" close-up Lenses? Uh... it depends on the individual's requirements - but it is "satifactory" enough for me.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use both my 80 and 150 with tubes and the results are just fine. Maybe not scientifically perfect, but good enough for me. I have also used tubes plus diopters. Fine if you want a less than sharp image.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your responses.
    Ed, I'm printing out everything you wrote. Today, you're my hero. I have been well pleased with my medium format work to date, but need/want to know so much more. With fineart nudes and portraits my main focus, I think the 120mm macro would suit me best, but the extension route will better suit my wallet... for now. I'll upload my work, as soon as I can figure out how.

Cheers All!
    ka

Images
    Leica... Hasselblad... Notice that no one ever requests exclusive, brand-only forums for cameras that cost less than three grand?

How about a Phoenix or Promaster forum? I don't have one now but heck, they're so cheap that I could just run out and buy one if I ever wanted to join in the conversation. :upsidedo:
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I was really hoping for a Seagull forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's already a Hassey User's Forum out there. It's not the best but it fullfills gaps.

http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/discus...rd-topics.html

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin