Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 784

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am using a bogen carbon fiber 3443 with Kirk BH-3 and love it. Light weight and very easy to use for landscapes and portraits.

Images
    Thank you all for your insightful comments. Preferences seem to be roughly 50/50 but it's easier for me to make a decision now when I know your arguments.

Best regards,
    Kate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry if this reply is late. I started out using a ball head with 35mm and medium format and they are indeed quick and easy to setup. I just wish I'd bought the bigger ball; the one with the friction control.

I now use a pan and tilt. No sudden changes of camera position = no sudden changes of center of gravity = no sudden contact between camera and ground !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FLM makes a ballhead which will not tilt sideways if an additional clamp is locked. Once tripod and camera are level and this clamp has been fixed adjusting the camera becomes more like working with a two-way pan-tilt head. All in all it is a nice head which replaced my Linhof Pro III.

Here is a description/praise of this head (Workshop- 2 -> "An exceptional ballhead"): http://www.poelking.de/index_e.htm

best

Stefan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got both and I hate the ball head for LF. Works great for MF.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you will do panning with your camera(following subject while it moves) it is easier to do with 3-way than ball head. You can, for example, have fixed vertical movement and have free only horizontal movement fot taking photo of moving car while follow its moving. With ball head you will have horizontal and vertical movements free at same time which can be problem if you need vertical or horizontal strictly fixed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some ball heads have a separate pan swivel with a lock lever at the bottom. I had one for a while but it annoyed me because I was always grabbing the wrong lever to adjust the thing. I sold it and got the simpler version.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin