Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,696   Online: 966

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images
    I'm going to buy Manfrotto 055PRO tripod (without head). What kind of head would you recommend: ball or 3-way? What are the pros and cons of each? Do you have any preferred type?

Thanks for advice.
    Kate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I personally prefer ballheads for speed and convenience. I had a cheap pan-and-tilt head once and struggled with it, and never got used to it, although many say its a matter of getting used to it. I've heard that pan-and-tilt heads are better for macro photography and the like, but since I almost never do that, life has become cheerier since the purchase of my ballhead.

If you do decide to go with a ballhead, do find one that is the appropriate size and weight for your equipment, particularly if you have heavy lenses. It's usually a compromise between ballhead weight (some weigh a tonne) and the weight of gear it can support. I use a Markins ballhead after reading rave reviews about it on the Nikonians website, and I certainly have nothing but good things to say about it. It is fully compatible with the Swiss-Arca system and its plates. Check out the Nikonians website for more extensive reviews on this ballhead, but I have no complaints! I used a cheaper Manfrotto 438RC ballhead before but got rid of it after I found it a little clumsy with vertical compositions.

Your mileage may vary, good luck.
    Jin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's one of those things that's a personal choice, and you really need to try them out for yourself.

I prefer three-way pan heads, because I like things to be square and straight and it's easier to do that when you can control the three rotation axes separately.

Ball heads, though, are more compact and quick to adjust, particularly for moving subjects. I have a small Linhof ballhead on my little travel tripod, which I use for my smaller rangefinder cameras or even my ultralight 4x5" Gowland.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After more than fifty years of trudging about with all kinds of equipment, I have yet to find the need for a ball-head tripod. Caveat: I don't do nature (or children on the loose) for which one might be preferable.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a landscape and architecture fan I find the 3 way head more convenient. I always had trouble squaring everything up with a ball head. It's really horses for courses.

Adrian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have 2 Bogen tilt/pan tripod heads for sale. e-mail me if you are interested, I have a 3126-$35 and a 3047-$45

automax1@juno.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used both types and find the ballhead much more convenient. I first started using it when I was on staff at Outdoor Photographer magazine on the recommendation of one of the contributors. A good ballhead is fast and smooth and I can level mine faster then I can level a 3 handle model. I have a heavy duty Bogen (Manfrotto) and love it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have each for different sized cameras, The only extra thought I have, with the larger cameras, 5x7 and up it is easier with the 3 way because you can adjust one direction at a time. Personally I prefer the ball heads for speed and flexibility. You do need to keeep the ball lubricated though.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always found a three way much easier to square and level the camera, which for LF is essential before you apply movements. For 35mm or MF a ball head is probably quicker to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a pan head before, and I let myself be seduced by everyone recommending a ball head a year ago. My conclusion: I much prefer a pan head. I find it gives a more precise control, plus, you don't need a mega-bucks panhead for it to work well, while I'm not sure I would say the same about ballheads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin