Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,660   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya 200mm f/2.8 APO for 645 - feedback?

The other piece of gear I'm considering dropping some coin on at the moment, I've been eyeing the Mamiya 200mm f/2.8 APO for my 645. My applications will primarily be portraiture and cycling photography. The most relevant question at the moment seems to be, what is performance like wide open? I asked this question ages ago on photo.net, but figure I might as well ask it again here as hopefully more users have surfaced in the ensuing years.

Anyone here have it/use it? Any example photos?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tested a sample a couple years ago against my older mamiya 645 105-210mm zoom. At the same aperture (max. 4.5 with the zoom), their sharpness were about the same (under 31x dissection microscope), but the 200mm apo had more contrast. It does not work well with mamiya 2x converter, it produced color fringes that were visible even at lower mag (i think 5-10x?). I guess the apo disappeared with 2x converter. I decided to return it, because I wanted to use it with the 2x.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Excellent excellent lens. I've posted a few results from it in the gallery recently. My favourite tele for 645, hands down. Good enough, in fact, that I sometimes use it in 35mm format via an adapter.

It is especially useful for IR, there is almost no refocus.

Wide open, it is superb, and that is how I most often use it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent. Thanks for the info. I can't see using it with the 2x, as if it comes down to it and I really need something longer for the 645 I'll hunt down the 300/2.8. I think the 200mm is just about perfect for what I need it for, though. When it's in the budget, I'm picking one up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By the way, the 300/4.5 AF apo is excellent too, just a bit too slow for some purposes. I just sold mine to fund the 300/2.8 manual.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When you get the 300/2.8 let us know what you think. It's soooooooooo sexy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I love the 210 f/4, and it is a ton cheaper. I fantasize about one day having the 200mm 2.8, but for now the 210mm f/4 gets the job done, and it was under $100.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 210 too, it's one of my favorite lenses (angle of view), seems to be sharp enough when you have it on a tripod or a fast enough shutter speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used my 210 f/4 for the first time for the shot I entered in the Ilford/APUG contest, and I was really happy with the result.

I particularly like the fact that it takes the same filters as most of the rest of my Mamiya 645 lenses, and will also fit the Mamiya focus assist lever that I really like to use with my cameras.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Works well with extension tubes too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin