Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,888   Online: 1200

Shooter
    Multi Format

Protection for a Tele Rolleiflex?

So I finally broke down and got a Tele Rolleiflex. Very good condition. Better than I was looking to buy, but the itch needed to be scratched. Hardly museum condition, but much better than user/beater condition that I was planning on.

Anyway . . . it came without a case. I never liked the Rollei leather cases anyway. Too finicky to remove the camera for reloading.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a lightly padded form of protection that sized just right? I'm looking to take this puppy backpacking with me in Colorado, Utah, etc, so I'm not looking for a big case, etc.

I've always toyed with trying to make my own sleeve for my Rolleicords, etc. I figured a neoprene inside, cordura outside, cover with a cinch cord, and two outisde pockets for a filter or two, and a couple of rolls of film. I could leave the camera on the tripod and just sheath it over the camera, and loop the cinch cord down to the tripod head. Moisture, dust and bump protection all in one.

But I'll be satisfied with just a perfectly-sized, padded something-or-other.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like the idea of the cinched bag over the camera left on the tripod. I leave my rollei on when I take photo walks in the woods.

I have to warn you though about doing that with your Tele or any Rollei, the sheet metal on the bottom of the back door is very soft. If you just screw the camera to a tripod head and walk around with camera over shoulder you are very likely to warp the bottom of your camera. You can warp it enough to make it leak light. You need to either use a Rolleifix or some quick release plate that allows the feet to sit firmly and thus take the stress off the middle of the bottom.
    Dennis
    congrats on your new camera. I will get one if I win the lottery.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I take you don't like the standard Rolleiflex splittable camera case.

Does your Tele have a meter ?

You could try a case with a top lid and 2 side pockets.
    Have a look at B&H and take your Tele with you, there are so many camera bags.......

I am still using the original camera case with my Rolleiflex 2.8F with meter, never got around to get me a better case for it.

Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    dpurdy is right: get your self the QR Rollei plate aswell.
    I never left my Flex on the tripod while walking.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the kind help of some folks here, I finally extracted the Rolleifix from my hand grip, so I'm covered there.

Did they make the hard case for the Tele? I've seen it for the regular focal length Rolleiflexes, but don't recall a Tele one. That might be nice. Although with the leather never-readies going for $300+, I can't imagine what I'd pay for one.

As for the camera, I had been setting aside money for it for a few years, and then also happened to find a great deal on some film on Craigslist which I turned around and sold for a 250% profit. That sealed the deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know the dimensions of the Tele, but I use a lens case, by photobackpacker, for my 3.5F. You might want to check their website for something that will work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might try an army surplus store. There is (or was) a small canvas bag used to hold a gas mask I think that would house your tele rollei nicely. Just add some closed cell foam to the side and bottom and you should be all set. A top-loading LowePro bag meant for a big slr could also work. Have fun with your camera.

Cheers
    Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Canada

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm recycling an older Tenba SLR bag to tote my 2.8E, a brick of film, meter, and cable release. While not quite form-fitting, it's small and light enough, and it has just enough interior volume that you could use it as a shaded film-loading container if need be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin