Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,682   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yashica TLR Cameras.

What is the difference between the 124 and 124G Cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "G" stands for goldused on the contacts. Other than that, or possibly the light meter, I dont think there's any difference. Both use 120(12), and 220(24) film, both have uncoupled light meters. I may be wrong, but neither one is capable of multiple exposure. Any way, its been years since I've checked either out, I own a Yashica D 120 only, but multi exposure capable , no light meter.
    Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How do you like the D?
    Arthur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    How do you like the D?
    Arthur
    I LOVE it -- Its my second one. I bought my first one new in 1969, and ended up swapping it for a motorcycle. I picked up my current one a couple of years ago, and feel the same about it as my wife-its a keeper!!! I shot my best work with TLR's especially with my first. They make you slow down and think about what you are doing, almost as much as a view camera. I love having multiple exposure a big plus, i wish the 124G had this capability, I'd own one of those. The only way I would part with it would be a swap for a Minolta Autocord(unless I found one I could afford). I whole heartedly encourage anyone to get a D and have fun.
    Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think there's a short discussion about 124 Vs. 124G at Karen Nakamura's website photoethnography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The G uses plastic gears and sounds like a ratchet when you crank it. The 124 uses metal gears and is more solidly built.

The other difference is that you pay more for the "G".

Same lens in both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a minute difference : the "G" has a sliding pressure plate to switch from 120 to 220, on the "non-G" you need to remove the plate and turn it 90° to do the same...

Also, but I don't know if this is true of all 124 and 124G : the lines on the ground glass are different. The "G" I have has only 4 lines, seeming to indicate the framing for a 135 film (don't know if there's been a kit for 135 on the 124G) whereas the 124 has more, forming a pattern of squares.

I like the feeling of the "non G" more, but this could be due to mine having been CLA-ed whereas the G has not been (I bought if for cheap and plan to do this myself, in a leanring process)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your replies and explanations. I might look out for a 124 rather than a 124G.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

124 vs 124g

[QUOTE=ralnphot;841227] both have uncoupled light meters.

The meters are coupled on the 12, 124, 124g.

Also, more plastic external parts on the g model, different cosmetics.
    The gearing and works are the same for the 124 and 124g, the earlier versions tend to be smoother and the end of the g production not so much.
    The same tooling had been used for many years and was beginning to wear. I remember at the time the camera was discontinued Yashica put out a statement to this effect and that re-tooling the plant was not viable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "Yashinon" lens was considered the best of the Yashica TLR lens (there was a Yashikor and, I think, something else). I believe all the 124s came with that lens but best to verify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin