Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,474   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rolleiflex, Rolleinars, and Whatnot

This weekend I decided to make the switch from a Hasselblad to a Rolleiflex. Since my local camera store doesn't have a stock of Rolleiflexes on the shelf with the D700s, D3s, Mark 5 whatever, I bought a 2.8F sight unseen (except for a few pics).

Could someone tell me about hoods, rolleinars, and filters? For example, metal or rubber hoods, UV filters? And best places (and prices) to find rolleinars?

(Have to admit, this is much more fun than tracking down the Hassey stuff.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Congrad's with your "new" 2.8F, they are wonderfull camera's, I have one.
    What comes with the camera ?

It greatly depends where you are located where to get "things" for your 2.8F.
    KEH might have something when you are living in the US, in Europe there are several places that might have something....
    Filters could be bought from B&H (baj. III)

You could try ebay, both US and German (.de), but "Buy Now" prices are overly inflated most of the time.
    Mind you I have not been hunting for any Rolleiflex gear lately, I got my set pretty well complete and if I want to go close-up I use my Rollei SL66 SLR that is more suited for close-ups.

Good luck,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may also want to check out Krimar Photo, in Northern New Jersey. They specialize in older Rolleiflexes -- repairs and sales -- and may carry accessories you'd be interested in acquiring.

http://www.krimarphoto.com/

Congratulations on your recent purchase.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the info.

The 2.8F is on its way. I don't believe that it's coming with any hoods or filters. Are the metal hoods better than the rubber? And do you put Rolleinars over the UV filters (and do you put UV filters on these things at all?).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you bought the camera off ebay would you be willing to share the link? Be fun to see.
    You can buy an adapter that goes bay 3 to 49mm so then you could buy regular 49 mm filters and shade. The Rollei accessories are better but they are hotly contested and expensive.
    You can buy a new off brand bay 3 hard lens shade on ebay for less than a used Rollei shade. I have both soft and hard and I like the hard better just for the reason of setting the camera face down to load film the lens shade props it up and allows gravity to keep the back door open.
    The Rollei lens shades are outer bayonet while the filters are inner bayonet so the shade will fit over most filters. Some filters can be stacked and some can't. CC filters are stackable. The shade will fit on with the Rolleinars in place if you do it in the right order. You will definitely want a Rolleinar once you know for sure you like the camera.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Rolleinar for the taking lens is built like a filter. It has a male bayonett on the rear side and a female one on the front side. You can attach filters to them. Just make sure to first mount the Rolleinar lens, then the filter.
    The rolleinar part for the viewing lens has no front side bayonett, so you will have to set the polfilter by just looking through it.

My only filter without the front side bayonett is the polfilter.

The whole system of accessories (filters, shade, rolleinar) is well constructed, but you have to practise a bit. For example, I always use the lens shade. When I want to add the rolleipol, I have to adjust it when it is on the viewing lens, unmount it, unmount the shade, mount the rolleipol on the taking lens, remount the lens shade.

The cheapest way to get filters is in combination with a second 2.8F in a less-than-perfect condition: I now have the lens shade, lens cap, a set of B&W filters (red, orange, green, yellow), a soft filter, two rolleinars, the polfilter and a rolleifix plus the original boxes for everything. I use all of these occasionally (except the soft filter, but you can remove the glass and fit something more useful in the aluminium ring). These things alone from several internet stores would have been more $$$ than I could have justified.

When you want to use a neck strap with your F, get into this topic. It is not *that* easy to attach a normal strap to it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lightproof is right.

If you can not get a hold of the original strap: there is a way around it if you don't intend to take it off : the part for the strap on the camera consists of 3-4 parts that are helt into place by 2 screws each side.
    Take out these screws and be carefull not to loose the spacer ring at the rear end and a shim (if there is one) on the front.
    Now the "real" part can be seperated so you can attach permanently a strap to it.
    Optech #A should fit, the diameter of the pin is 2.4mm.
    Be aware that these 2 parts hold the back into place aswell.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokeh Guy View Post
    (Have to admit, this is much more fun than tracking down the Hassey stuff.)
    Yes, Hassey stuff is just much to easy to find unless you are after the A2035 film back.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, thanks for all the info. It's all a great help.

Gotta admit that I went kinda crazy this weekend - bought a mint 2.8F with a Xenotar lens and a mint tele. Got approval from the wife when I sold a Mamiya 7ii lens and an M6 TTL that I hadn't used in three years. Those covered the premium over my allotted budget.

One good thing about the Hassey stuff is that it was so expensive to acquire that it gives you some freedom of choice when moving to another system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's a guy selling "for rollei" neck straps on the 'bay for $30. They're cordura with leather at the ends and original-style clips. Can't vouch for the quality, but it's something.

But I just threaded small triangular neck-strap split rings onto the small post in the center of the strap lug, then attached a normal strap to that. Worked pretty easily. Still, I might like the regular strap for the easy on/off without leaving the quick-detach strap ends stuck on the camera flapping around.

There are also "Gordy's" leather camera straps with thread attachments.

(Edit: Brand-new 2.8E owner here, bought online for $550...extremely happy with it but accessory prices aren't thrilling me...luckily it works pretty well without too much need for other stuff.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin