Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,498   Online: 984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenR View Post
    You're probably better off buying a used Yashicamat or Minolta Autocord. Yes they will be more expensive, but they better made (except for the meter on the Yashicamats) and will be alive and well many years from now.
    Last week-end I got a wonderful Autocord for 80 euros. I was very impressed when I took the first two rolls out of the developing tank. The build and image quality are both excellent. I would definitly recommend one over a Seagull for someone looking at an affordable TLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...or a Rolleicord V

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thirty years ago, I bought my mother-in-law's Seagull 4 when she herself bought her Yashica 124G to replace it. I paid her GBP 10. She bought the Seagull in 1964, and coincidentally, she's just given me, a few days ago, dozens of boxes of 6x6 transparencies dating back to the mid-sixties to scan. (I can tell you that Ektachrome has held up well during that period too.)

After forty-five years, that Seagull 4 is still going strong. It may go against the grain of general experience, I'm sure, but sometimes in life you do get lucky.
    Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmacphee View Post
    Thirty years ago, I bought my mother-in-law's Seagull 4 when she herself bought her Yashica 124G to replace it. I paid her GBP 10. She bought the Seagull in 1964, and coincidentally, she's just given me, a few days ago, dozens of boxes of 6x6 transparencies dating back to the mid-sixties to scan. (I can tell you that Ektachrome has held up well during that period too.)

After forty-five years, that Seagull 4 is still going strong. It may go against the grain of general experience, I'm sure, but sometimes in life you do get lucky.
    I think the older ones were a lot better made than the current ones, which have a lot of plastic in them
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have heard some good stories, but I've heard of many more bad stories (cameras breaking in use). In fact, the bad seems to vastly outnumber the good. I'd pass on this offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Seagull is certainly solid enough, which lines up with what Chris says in terms of age. It's a knob wind, not a crank, and it's all metal as far as I can tell. The lens itsn't outstanding, but it's agreeable. It could probably use a CLA now, but then again, so could I.

My experience and Les's may be atypical, so I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to ignore the accounts given by others in favour of mine. In any case, even for a working model, the $80 asking price mentioned in the original post is simply too high. There are better bets, and a Yashica with a good Yashinon is one of them.

The meter on my Yashica-12 doesn't work, but it seems to be due to a physical disconnect in the battery chamber. However, I've used a handheld meter for years, a Weston V that's as accurate now as when I bought it in the mid sixties, so I don't even notice the Yashica's dud one anyway.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks. The one that I was offered does look a bit older. Apart from a few spots, most of the text is Chinese (I'm assuming), not english like the ones you see available now.

MF is on hold for me now. I think I'll probably look at a Holga or a toy camera for my first MF when I get there.

Cheers and thanks for the advice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Yashica-D is a rugged camera. The later ones have a great lens. They are cheap. I got two off of an auction site. No meter on them. No batteries. Great photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine also has Chinese lettering on the front, and no English other than f/stops and speeds ; but you're probably doing the right thing.

Incidentally, if you're looking for an easy route to medium format, don't overlook folding cameras. You can have a great deal of fun with something like an old Zeiss Nettar or Ikonta, with a Novar lens that gives the Tessar a good chase, and get pictures whose quality will knock your socks off.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aren`t Seagull TLR`s the one`s that make the Lubitel`s look good, or is it the other way around?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin