Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,177   Online: 974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Seagull 4A - Should I even bother?

Tonight I was offered a Second Hand Seagull 4A from a camera club member. They want $100 aust for it (around $80US).

From what I have read, these things are lumps. Is that correct? Should I even entertain the thought?

All opinions welcome!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do not bother. I have seen them go at markets (in good condition...ha!) for $40. $80 at the most expensive.

EVERY SINGLE owner I know has had theirs break.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going the other end of the spectrum here. What are you after specifically in a camera? The Seagull TLR's are notorious for breaking. However, they do have a certain lens signature. If you like the idea of a sharp center and swirly fall off, the lens on these cameras can be quite interesting in that regard. That said, you know it will likely you down at some point. It all depends on how hard you use it too. That said, you could save you money and get a used 1950's Super Richohflex TLR on Ebay and have a reliable camera with the same lens signature. Maybe for around $30 too!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am with Andrew and others on this. I have owned a Seagull and I own a Ricohflex. The seagull died, but probably had more to do with leaving in a hot car..not good for any camera. Up to that point it was doing great. BUT for the same money you can get something much better and more reliable. So if it's that particular camera you want that is one thing...if you want a good TLR camera with similar character, but more reliable...there are better options. My experience anyway.

Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have money to burn [send it to me!], I understand that Seagull 4A's make excellent bookends for your library.

Otherwise, use your money for something much better.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mine died after 6 rolls of film. Had been used so little it still looked in mint condition
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, not worth that kind of money. I got beautiful pictures from my Seagull as long as it worked but thast was long time ago. Now I have a Yashica D and a Rolleicord III. Never looked back.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What did you do with the Seagull camera body? Use it as a bookend or paper weight?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had a Seagull WSC120 which I bought from someone at work for £50 about 5 years ago. I am still using it and have got some nice pictures. No regrets.

It has provided a cheap entry into roll film photography but I will go for something more substantial when it dies.

Les

Shooter
    Large Format

Used TLR

You're probably better off buying a used Yashicamat or Minolta Autocord. Yes they will be more expensive, but they better made (except for the meter on the Yashicamats) and will be alive and well many years from now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin