Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,383   Online: 1036

Shooter
    35mm RF

MF gear s/h prices holding up

I've just sold my Mamiya 645 kit, consisting of a 645 Super with about six lenses, backs and other accessories. I'd bought it second-hand off an internet auction site and placed them for sale on the same site.

I'm pleased to report that I actually got back about what I'd paid for it a two or three years ago. Most items were within £5 or £10 of my purchase price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been only tracking Hasselblad for the last two or three years, during that time the prices have stopped dropping for Hasselblad and have remained steady. However, the Hasselblad SWCs have been slowly increasing in values. These prices are based on eBay and KEH observations only.

I have not paid attention to the other brands, but my gut feel is that they have been stable the last few years.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stable Hasselblad prices are a bad sign.

There once was a time when you could have sold your used Hasselblad for more than what you had bought it for new, years before.
    Hasselblad raising new prices by considerable amounts twice a year was responsible for that. Used prices followed suit.

How times have changed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But if the prices had not dropped during the digital revolution, I would still only be dreaming about Hasselblad.

It works both ways.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 08-14-2009 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yet, prices dropped because fewer people wanted to have one.
    Still going the same direction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    But if the prices had not dropped during the digital revolution, I would still only be dreaming about Hasselblad.

I works both ways.

Steve
    If you are willing to ship to China, India and other emerging market countries you can command hefty prices for these.

German-built lenses have acquired a cult-following in China in recent years that practically borders on fetishism.

Rollei, Hasselblad, Contax, and Lecia prices have actually gone up slightly (last 18 months NOT excepted) in the past several years because of this effect. At least that's been my observation based on eBay auctions and the KEH catalog.

Mamiya, Bronica, and Pentax prices are still dropping.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Rollei, Hassy and Leica price guides at http://antiquecameras.net/

have shown that Rollei has been fairly stable the last 1.5 years ( with Rolleicords actually going up ! ), Hassy had a large decline last year, although now slowing its pace of decline and Leica M lenses gaining strength from the ability to use them on so many digital rangefinders.... Worldwide currency changes have also had an effect on all prices. Pentax 67 have been beaten down to insanely low prices as have Mamiya 645 as mentioned above.

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

R/D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently switched from digital to an RB67 and am curious if a small percentage of digi shooters might follow suit resulting in a price jump for analog gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    R/D,

I dont think analog camera bodies have any chance of recovery, but lenses could (and are ) as they get new life on digital. For example, Canon FD lenses were left for dead a few years ago...now, with adapters, this line can be shot on the Panasonic G1 cameras....so I expect to see a rise in the finer FD lenses.... I would love to shoot a Canon 55mm f/1.2 ASPH on a Pana G1. It would be a nice long portrait lens on that camera with a speed of 1.2 and only be in the $ 600-800 range...

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I purchased a couple of RB67 items on KEH three years ago this month, the backs have gone up a lot since I bought mine, I paid $84 for a 120 Pro SD back, now $134. I also got a ProS body for $76, has gone down to $72. I also got a 65mm f4.5 for $122 in good bargain condition on eBay, selling now on KEH for $189. Also, a 180mm on eBay three years ago was $91 in good bargain condition, it is now $119 at KEH. I understand that the last two are apples vs oranges but still I am not seeing evidence of price drops over the last three years.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin