Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,789   Online: 776

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seriously, $200 is NOT cheap. the lenses are scratched. Ruined. Worth nothing. M645 lenses are dirt cheap in flawless condition, in such bad condition that the glass is scratched they are worth nearly $0. Brofkand bought the same set, minus the 200mm lens, for $175 in MUCH better condition. The 210mm lens is not expensive if you really need it, but you'll use the 80mm 95% of the time most likely
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 1000s is labeled very clearly with a chrome 1000s on the side, as well as the 1/1000 shutter speed. If it is beat, pass. Especially if it is only a m645 or 645J model. You can get Super and Pro models with winders in that same price range and shed a few pounds. That said the 1000s is a nice camera, I have one and a Super and a Pro.

The only good thing abut an older body that is a little beat is that you won't feel guilty about ripping the leatherette off and putting down some nice leather in your favorite color. My 1000s is still in too good a condition to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As is mine, Greg. Maybe in a decade or two.

If the glass is scratched, I'd skip them. If you can get the body itself for $50 or so, get it. Then buy your lenses from other people. KEH clearly marks scratched lenses as Ugly. They are much cheaper than Bargain or other ratings, because of all things you can do to a camera, scratching a lens is one of the (relatively) few that will damage your image quality. A missing winder knob or a broken meter won't ruin your photographs.

You're in Florida, so buy from KEH. It'll probably take two days to get to you from their offices in Atlanta. I'm near Charlotte, NC and it takes two days for me. eBay is another option, but people on eBay that buy these things dirt cheap at estate sales tend to know nothing of photography and rate everything as "MINT!" So it's a crapshoot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with the others. Take a good look at what KEH has. I put together an entire 645Pro outfit there for $350--all pieces rated BGN. The gear had scuffs as you'd expect a well-used pro camera to have. Functionally it's all been perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I'm going to pipe in here just quickly.

Why is it that the Mamiya 645, in the relative scheme of things, is a cheaper MF camera? Is it just because there are so many around?

Just asking

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it is the fact that very large numbers were made. These were EXTREMELY popular with wedding photographers, and lots of hobbyists and fine art photographers bought them too. They were less expensive than a Hasselblad when new, and the lenses were cheaper than Bronica lenses because Mamiya's lenses didn't need the leaf shutter, and were FAR FAR less costly than the ungodly expensive Zeiss lenses of the Hasselblad and Rollei SLRs. So, yeah, they're common. They're also GOOD. Much of my work seen on my website was done over a 15 year period with a Mamiya 645 Super and the four lenses I have for it. The lenses are sharp, reliable, built solidly, and the bodies are very reliable too.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Chris.

I had promised myself that I wasn't going to do MF yet....I need to upgrade my enlarger....but jeez, I love looking and now my wallett is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

Instead of creating a new thread, how 645 super rate, with a 80 f1.9 lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I had a Super and it was great. I have heard stories about reliability, but I had no problems. The Super will use all of the various Pro accessories such as motor grips, finders, and backs, so your can also find yourself upgrading from Super to Pro bit by bit, which I ended up doing, for no particular reason. I have never used the 1.9 lens, but as you know, it is really fast for MF.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Super and pro prices are not that different, just go with the pro. The super apparently has a less reliable shutter that costs twice as much to have replaced if it goes bad. No problem with mine so far but it is something you should consider.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Thanks Chris.

I had promised myself that I wasn't going to do MF yet....I need to upgrade my enlarger....but jeez, I love looking and now my wallett is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

I have the Super with 80/1.9

The lens is sharp. I rarely used it at 1.9 because the focus screen in the 645 Super is dim and hard to focus in the kind of light you'd use an f1.9 lens in by comparison to the screens in most 35mm SLRs (but thats true of all MF cameras I have used). I would, in retrospect, probably go for the f2.8 lens, because the 1.9 is big and heavy and suffers from some distortion that occasionally showed in architectural work.

The problem the Super suffered was with the wind gears not the shutter, if used day in and day out with the winder, they can fail. I've used mine with a winder since I got it (Bought it new in 1994) with no problem but I do not shoot every day all day like a portrait/wedding shooter might. I'm a fine art photographer only.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin