Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,132   Online: 877

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 645 identification

I just was offered a Mamiya 645 body, prism finder, 120 back w/ 80mm 2.8 and 210mm lenses for $200.00 US. Condition rough with some light scratching on lenses which may not be too signifigant for my use. I want to get into MF cheaply. Serial number on the body is L77940. I can't figure out which model 645 this is. Can anyone advise me on which model this is and maybe how old?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does the film back come off or does it only have a film insert?

Does it have black leatherette on a metal body and prism or is it plastic?

Does the prism come off?

Is it heavy or fairly light with the prism attached?

If it is plastic on the prism and fairly light, it should have Super/Pro/ProTL or 645e printed on the body. If it uses a film back and prism that comes off then a Super/Pro/ProTL. If a metal body with heavy prism and just a film insert it is one of the older bodies and should have 1000s on the side, or it is a J model or earlier which may not have markings.

I'm guessing it falls in the Super/Pro/ProTL range since you said film back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's really too much money for one in rough condition with scratched lenses. You can find a Mamiya 645 kit with unscratched lenses for that or not much more. It'll be worth it to keep looking and find a better deal.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    It's black leatherette on metal, removable prism, fairly heavy (5 or 6 lbs-ish). I don't know if it's a back or an insert. The top of the prism has "SM" on a plaque on it. I didn't notice any other model indications. Based on some web browsing I was guessing the L serial number pointed toward 1000s

Shooter
    35mm
    chris,

I never see these over here in South Florida. We have no soul. It's all digital and newish. I was just up in Boston and saw a body with finder only for $399 at Calumet. About the same conditiion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought a 1000s complete with an 80 2.8, a CdS prism, and a 120 back (no 210mm lens though) for around $175 shipped (shipping was $13) from KEH about a month ago. Just for comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like either a m645 or a m645 1000s. If it is it will just say m645 or m645 1000s above the winding crank.
    However, I think the model name is just part of the leatherette so if the leathetette is missing then then model may be missing with it,
    The only main difference is the m645 has a top shutter speed of 500 and the 1000s has a top speed of 1000 hence the name.

Any of the other models such as Super, Pro, Pro TL etc are marked as such.

I have a m645 and I enjoy it a lot.

What kind of prism is it?
    The metered PD can be quite pricy if working and in good order.
    Check KEH.com for reference prices.

good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all. The fellow is asking $200. I'm thinking that some negotiation is in order but figure to buy it tomorrow or Monday. Not always necessary to get the lowest possible price and at $200 it's already cheap. I figure once I've got it it'll be easier to decide exactly which model it is.

By the way, I've never used KEH, only Adorama and B&H and am happy with them both. Should I give KEH a try?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH is awesome. Everything I bought for my Mamiya system was "bargain," and honestly it is in better shape than ANY other gear I own.

The only thing I was able to find wrong was some velcro on the prism, and a scuff mark on the lens barrel. The velcro was removed and the scuff mark is only noticeable when one is searching for it.

I very highly recommend KEH. Oftentimes cheaper than eBay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If i's a 1000s the shutter speed will max out at 1/1000th.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin