Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,141   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Inexpensive Medium Format Camera

Hi Guys- I am looking to just toy around with some MF. I am looking for a camera (I would rather not have a folder) that costs around $25. I was looking at the Agfa Isoly and a few other similar cameras.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're looking for cheap and no control, why not try a box camera, like an Ansco Shur-Shot or Kodak Brownie? They can be had for next to nothing and can often take surprisingly un-bad pictures. Some of the ones with metal bodies are even pretty light tight! They can easily be had from That Auction Site for less than $5. Beware of the ones that take 116 and 620 film, however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure of your prejudice against "folders", but you can routinely pick up Franka Rolfix 6x9 folders with a Schneider-Kreuznach F4.5 Radionar lens for about $50 US on "the bay site", double your budget, but I think that German lens is hard to beat, great for B&W. Produces great 16x20 inch prints with sharp centers, corners are slightly soft at wider apertures, but I think it is a nice effect. I have been shooting 35mm since the 1970s, I admit to being a "slow learner" but only recently experienced the epiphany that 35mm attempts to create through technology (sharper lenses as in Lines Per Millimeter of resolution), what older, larger formats achieved through sheer film size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you want to be able to focus it? What speed film do you want to use?
    I recommend a TLR. Yashica TLRs, for example, can be had pretty cheap. They are far better than a junk folder which has to be focused by guess and by golly. You can even put one on a tripod and take a long exposure in low light.

I have a couple of Yashica-D cameras which were very reasonable. You just have to be a bit patient to find a bargain. The earlier cameras in this series take good photos, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sertainly not prejudice to folders of TLRs ( I do love them!), but I have a couple already.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have to guess the distance with my Franka Rolfix 6x9 camera, I carry a small rangefider in my pocket, take the reading and set the lens accordingly. For a budget of $25 I suspect the originator of this thread is not planning on taking any "action" photos.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can pick up a Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor for that amount. It came in 6x9 and 6x4.5. I can't recall ever seeing one that was 6x6, other than the Tengoflex, which will be way, way out of budget.

The postwar version is a bit sharper than the prewar camera, although I've gotten acceptable results from the prewar camera with the lens set at its medium distance.

I think the postwar camera with the powder chrome and black leather is very handsome.

It takes 120 film, so no need to respool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd get a box camera that takes 120, like a Brownie no. 2. They are great fun, and with some precautions (due to the fact that they were designed for blue-sensitive films), they will take great pix with no light leaks.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got an Agfa Isola.

I bought it expecting a toy camera - and it is very primitive, but it soon grew on me. Despite having a lot of plastic in it and having a very simple spec, it is actually very well made and quite rugged. It is a delight to use, I like the simplicity, although it does have a built in yellow filter and double exposure prevention. Mine is an Isola 1 with just two shutter settings, "B" and 1/35th second. That is it's failing, the shutter speed is a bit slow to hand hold reliably and is a bit slow for modern films.
    The Isola II has both 1/30 and 1/100th sec shutter speeds and a better lens, so that might be the one to go for. It lacks the yellow filter, though... Should be available for very little on eBarGumbay.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Somewhere I have a Balda Baldixette. It is 6x6 on 120, non-folding and is surprisingly sharp with a wider than normal 72mm lens.

It's a bit limited in the shutter speed and aperture department though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin