Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,007   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad telephoto lenses

I am considering a telephoto lens for my 501CM. At this point I have a 80mm and 150mm but perhaps I may add something longer. Maybe a 350mm or even a 500mm. Does anyone have any experience with a Hasselblad telephoto they would like to share?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 250mm Sonnar for my Rollei SL66 and around here, it can only be use on calm days. With a little too much wind, the whole thing vibrates like crazy - even on a heavy tripod. I do like the lens and the focal length but there are days when I can't use it.

Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Alberta

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which focal length to get is a matter of personal taste.

If you do want to get a 500 mm, and funds permit, try to get the Tele-Apotessar (the CF lens), and not the Tele-Tessar (the C lens). The Tele-Apotessar is decidedly better than the older Tele-Tessar. And it has internal focusing, keeping the shift in balance during focusing very small.

The Tele-Apotessar comes in two versions, differing only in minimum focussing distance (8 m vs 5 m).

The other two telephoto focal lengths (250 mm and 350 mm) both offer a choice between a 'regular' lens and a Superachromat (the non plus ultra in colour correction).
    The Superachromat versions are, of course, better, but also much more expensive. The 'regular' ones are quite good also.
    So a choice depending on the content of your bank account. But not one that leaves you lumbered with a bad lens should your bank account not allow a Superachromat.

All (!) lenses should be used on a tripod if you want to know what they are capable of.
    But while you could get away using the 250 mm handheld (a waste, though, of the money you spent, if it was spent buying a Superachromat), you absolutely must use a tripod with the other two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To echo what QG said, I have the 250mm lens, it is about a long a lens on the Hasselblad that can be handheld. I have a 2x extender that I have used with it and the two were useable, but a little hard to use handheld.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A number of years ago I took a photo of my father flyfishing with the 350 CF on a 500CM mounted to a 320 series Gitzo tripod. It was the last photo I took of him before he died. While the print hangs in my living room, in my darkroom is the negative. Under a 6X loupe it shows that I took the photograph at 1:20 PM. Considering that I was not all that close, to be able to read his watch just about says it all for the lens quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 250 and a 2x as well as the 150, 80 & 50fle. The Hasselblad 2x works well. A couple of years ago I was able to buy a 30 year old 350 for $750 and could not resist the bargin although it had a view camera type shutter it is in mint condition but also takes larger filters and definitely requires a tripod ( I try to use one routinely regardless of the lens ). For traveling I generally take the 50, 150 and 2x. If you can find one at a good price - why not? But a 2x and the 150 other than the loss of f stops is a good combo and consider the 50fle. That would give you many combos plus the 50 can get pretty close-up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, thank you: Morry, Q.G., Sirius, photobum, jeffreyg, this makes my decision much easier. I have my eye on a 350mm at the moment.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Well, thank you: Morry, Q.G., Sirius, photobum, jeffreyg, this makes my decision much easier. I have my eye on a 350mm at the moment.
    Paul
    Do not leave your eye on it too long. It will dry out and be hard to put back into the socket so that it operates correctly. Also, remember to put it back in right side up.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Paul
    Do not leave your eye on it too long. It will dry out and be hard to put back into the socket so that it operates correctly. Also, remember to put it back in right side up.

Or is it a glass eye that fell on a bargain?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a black (non-T*) 350mm f5.6 and I really like it alot. I have been carrying it, and using it handheld, without any issues whatsoever. Now I have ordered the old black/chrome shutter 500mm F8, for the price I am willing to give it a shot. T* does not make much difference with long lenses.

Here's a recent Polaroid test, that's my Son playing the Electric Bass:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bass2.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin