Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,252   Online: 864

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hand hold my ProII usually with Pan F+ rated at 25. In the bright LA sun I can still in most cases keep my shutter speed at 1/125 and my F stop on my 110mm around F4 and a half to F5.6 and a half.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tripod usually, but certainly handheld while doing studio-flash stuff where camera-shake isn't a factor. Sometimes hand-held outdoors with the 110/2.8.

An RZ in my case.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I heard an apocryphal story about the RB67 once that the Japanese designers were shocked when after it's initial sales in the US that some US photographers wanted a grip for it. Since it was designed as a studio camera, they let absolutely no weight saving measures be designed into it, and only an American would hold it handheld, this demonstrated to some of the engineers why they had lost the war.

I always wanted to use it as a Paparazzi camera, thinking if anyone wanted to slug me they would have to get through 13 pounds of glass and metal first...LOL
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I do, but then I have the Mamiya pistol grip that was sold with the camera. It is still a heavy beast but at least I can stablize it for a shot. I used to use it for wedding photography... back when I was a weight lifter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhall View Post
    I handhold both with the trigger grip and prism finder, or with WLF and no grip. Also use tripod when I have subject that will hold still long enough.

Jason
    Not owning an RB, I'm really not qualified to respond, but I love the feel of shooting with my GS-1, handheld with no grip and just the WLF. Stripped down, it's not that heavy, and I take something of a perverse pleasure in the mule-kick of the mirror. Once or twice I've forgotten myself and flicked the MLU before I remembered that you can't shoot handheld without a mirror.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I handhold with a left-handed L grip, no problems. Wish the L grip had an MLU detent on the trigger though.
    I use mine with the left hand grip and I will walk for a few miles carrying it by the grip.

Not sure that mirror lockup is of much use when hand held though!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot handheld too. With the right film and/or in the right light (flash or ambient). I'm planning to bring it for an extended wilderness hike too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    Do the sparkles count for nothing these days? I'm so far behind the times...
    It is a cool photo.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hand-held a friend's RB years ago in trying it out, if that counts. It's heft and balance makes it surprisingly easy, but I've also never seriously considered buying one because of that heft.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I did use my former RZ II handheld but at something like 2.5 kilos with a 110/2.8 and WLF it's not something I'd walk around with, Cartier-Bresson style, for hours on end...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin