Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,037   Online: 1109

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have had to unjam a lens that chose to fire off while sitting in the camera bag.
    Same here Steve, fortunately, I was near home and was able to re-cock the shutter without too much trouble.

It shouldn't be necessary, but it's good to know how to recover if it does happen.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again, a shutter firing while the lens is not on the camera is not a "jam".
    It is just a shutter firing while the lens is not on the camera.
    Not a big deal. Not something for which you need special instructions from the internet, not something for which you need a a special tool.

The shutter in the lens is spring loaded, with only a tiny catch keeping it from firing (the little thingy in the semicircular surround).
    When you mount the lens on a camera, a pin in the lens mount depresses this tiny lever, releasing the drive shaft in the lens, which by then is held put by the dog in the camera's lens mount.
    The release cycle is then controlled by the camera allowing the shaft to rotate through preset angles in sequence to affect the different phases in the release cycle.

You can, without fear for anything except having to recock the shutter, release the shutter in a lens when not mounted on a camera by pressing the tiny lever. Have done that countless times.
    Using a coin, inserted in the slot on the end of the drive shaft, the shutter is cocked again.
    (How to do this is described in the manual of Hasselblad cameras and lenses. It will indeed be "good to know how to recover", and you will, if only you RTFM. ).

So again, so it is clear: a shutter releasing while the lens is not on a camera is not a problem. Not a "jam".
    (Just as, say, having your car's handbrake on is not a malfunction, does not require special tools to fix, nor having the car towed to a garage to have it fixed.)

A jam occurs when the lens is on the camera, and something goes wrong during the release cycle, with the whole thing stopping where it should not, and not responding to the usual inputs (shutter release button, wind crank).
    Then, you can reset the thing by turning the drive shaft through the rear of the camera (you do not need a special tool for that either). When you do, you should be able to take the lens off, and examine lens and camera separately.

Another way a jam might occur is when the camera and/or lens is released while you are taking the lens off the camera. When this happens, the position of the key/dog in the camera's mount and slot in the drive shaft on the lens will prevent taking the lens off the camera, as well as putting it back on again. You're well and truly stuck.
    Turning the screw then may help, but it more often than not may not. (And still no special tool required). All it does is (try to) line the dog in the camera's mount up again, but with the slot in the drive shaft not lining up as well...
    (This second type, by the way, is not a camera malfunction, but without fail due to user error.)

These jams are very rare. I have heard them reported often, but in decades of using a bunch of Hasselblad cameras never had one happen myself.

And if (!) they ever would happen to you, you do not need to spend ridiculous amounts of money for a special tool. So whatever you do, don't spend money on those!
    Last edited by Q.G.; 09-14-2009 at 12:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    GOOGLE a film loading video on Youtube. It will tell you how to do it. I loaded my first roll wihout watching the video. Ruined the roll. Wathced the video. Several perfectly transported and exposed roll later, I'm not having any problems.

My 501 came with the Acute-Matte D 422xx screen with split image and micro prism focus aids. The brightest, best focusing screen this side of Bigfoot & Bubba, my M5 bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Useful Hasselblad urls.

Do not wave the film as was one in his video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6hDyMmkqA

Replacing light seals:
    http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTSeal.aspx

Unjamming a Hasselblad:
    http://www.dmin-dmax.fr/photoe2b.htm
    http://photoweb.net/pw_tech/hassy_unjam.html

The Myth Killer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKcbyh2CrA

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    Just remember that you want to load it with the black paper facing out...
    Don't tell anybody, but I managed to do this wrong too! Not one of my best moments.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    No, I haven't been there and I also don't carry a screwdriver.
    It's very simple, expose frame, wind crank, expose frame, wind crank..., see, very simple!

Cheers

André
    Same here, but now that we said this, it will probably happen tomorrow. I'll better go and get that screw driver.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    longgg story short, I ended up getting a Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm CF lens in mint condition. should arrive in 2 days good decision? it was cheaper haha ;p

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy!

Don't for get to post on the "Is That A Hasselblad?" thread after you take it out in public.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good decision.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok i got the camera early Anyways, i see some tiny circle markings on the inner glass of the lens, are those fungus or blemishes, should i be worried??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin