Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,229   Online: 750

Shooter
    Medium Format

differences between 117 and 120 format films?

The search is really killing me lately .... Would someone be so kind as to detail the differences between 117 and 120 format rolls? From what I found in a general web search it has to do with the spools. Interested in what needs to be done to convert 120 rolls for use in a 117 camera.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello ,
    Center shaft and center hole are similar .
    On 117 , spool edges diameter is smaller than on 120 (and nearly smaller than on 620) .
    I have some with wooden center shaft for non-modified Original Rolleiflex TLR (1929-1932) : it takes only six pictures 6x6 .
    120 can't be used with these old Rollei : spool edges diameter is too big . It's possible with 620 while reducing internal winding key ; a lot of Original Rolleiflex were modified for that .

Edit : see here , on this french website : on the second picture , from left to right : 117 , 620 , 120 .
    Last edited by Andy38; 09-22-2009 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks.

For those that can not speak French:
    http://www.translate.google.com/tran...istory_state0=

I'll have to take a look at what is inside the camera now, it is definitely a cut down plastic 120 spool. Whether it works or not is a totally different question.

Oddly enough I am seeing that B&H is listing a couple 620 format films, that might be enough to get this old camera working. And if Efke keeps cranking out 127 rolls I just might grab a baby Rollei or maybe one of the Yashica clones to carry around ('cause they are cute).

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I respooled a 120-film on a 620-spool as the feeding roll when I loaded my Original Rolleiflex a couple of years ago. I used a 117-takeup-spool. When I've finished the roll I'll unload the camera in the darkroom and load the Paterson tank while at it.

I think it's been five or six years since I loaded the camera, and I still have to finish the roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well JPD, you are then aware that until you process the film, all the photographs are technically perfect, beautifully composed, and you caught the decisive moment in every frame. Some or all of these will be lost when the film comes in contact with the developer.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went to the Film For Classics site and they say that you can only buy their films from B&H and a west coast store, no longer direct. That's apparently where B&H is getting the 620 spools.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin