Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,295   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yashica-D - Worth Fixing?

Hello,

One of my recent procurements in a lot from an estate is a cosmetically nice Yashica-D with Yashikor lenses. The shutter does not work, however. The cocking arm does not cock it, and the release button is limp.

I like the way the camera handles, but is the glass nice enough to bother fixing it up? The shutter is closed, so I can't even make any tests using long exposures. The camera is in very clean condition inside and out.

If anyone has a repair manual, that might prove useful to me as well. I'd be glad to pay you for a copy and shipping.

The shutter says "Copal - MXV"
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe you could take it apart and see if you can see what's wrong. Yashica-D's are not particularly valuable, but... if it's in good shape, you might as well see if you can see what's wrong.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Hi, its sounds like a common Yashica shutter problem. Had it happen to me, with a friend's "D", so I had to have it fixed. And fixing was a CLA. There is a lot of information on the web about what you can do, depending how adventurous you are. Its a sweet camera. And underrated.
    Good luck. Anne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got two of these, and love them.

I do have an exploded view pdf of this camera. It is about 800k in size. I don't remember where I found it. Send a PM if you haven't already gotten it, and I'll send it to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it won't cock, shutter is closed, and shutter release is limp, then it's probably the self-timer mechanism that is jammed. Hope that helps narrow it down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashikor is a Triplet lens and noticeably softer than the Yashinon's (Tessar type) at wider apertures, but they aren't bad stopped down well. For this reason D's aren't as sought after.

However the triplet lens can be great for portraits etc I had a Zeiss Triotar on a pre-WWII Rolleicord and it had a wonderful feel in both B&W and Colour at wider apertures.

If it's easy to fix great, but it's not really worth spending much money on.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, check the self timer first. If it was my camera, I'd remove the taking lens element cells, then carefully flood out the shutter with Ronsol lighter fluid. Just start with a few drops on the shutter blades, then tilt the body around so that the fluid gets into the shutter from the blades, then keep trying to cock the shutter and do the self timer. I've revived a few early Yashica's that way, give you a chance to clean the interior elements as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It'
    s wprth every cent if you do the work yourself. To send it out, is rather expensive when you concider these cameras are being sold for $25 in the same broken condition.

Do a search and you will find many people that have posted their repairs complete with pictures.

Take a look here n other sites like this...

http://davidrichert.com/camera_rebuilds.htm
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    If it won't cock, shutter is closed, and shutter release is limp, then it's probably the self-timer mechanism that is jammed. Hope that helps narrow it down.
    Probably correct. I have a D with Yashinon lenses that had the same trouble. I removed the self timer mechanism, flushed the shutter with ronsonol, et voila! The linkage to the shutter release button was bent too. Probably from some cowboy bashing away at it when it seized up.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think there might be documents on the Kyphoto site that could help you get it working again. If not join the Yahoo camera-fix group and I'm certain someone there will be able to talk you through the fix or give you a good price on fixing it.

If you fix it cheap, then it is of course worth fixing. You can always sell it for $50+ if it is working to fund other project too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin