Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 680

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Following the line of reasoning above, which suggested using MF Mamiya lenses as macrofocus options for 4x5, is it also plausible to use macro lenses designed for 35mm (which I have) for close focus/high magnification exposures on an RB67? The same rationale of increased coverage at close focus seems plausible, and the absence of shutters should again not be relevant, as suggested above for long exposure times, if lens mount adaptors exist? The same question could also extend to inexpensive enlarger/printing lenses, which have reportedly been employed successfully on 4x5 cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am following up on the logic of recent posts advising the use of RB67 lenses on 4x5 view cameras at close focus/high image magnifications. Does this reflect a general principle that lens coverage expands substantially at close focus distances? If so, it would also suggest that other inexpensive lenses like macro versions for 35mm format, or enlarging lenses, could likewise be used for macro exposure work on MF cameras like the RB67. I have previously heard of enlarging lenses being used on 4x5 cameras, and previous posts explained that the absence of internal shutters is no real impediment, because of the long exposure times required.

Shooter
    35mm
    N.B. Last post is unnecessary duplication, because previous message appeared to have been lost in transmission, but appeared later to have succeedes. Moderater should delete either one, since I do not yet know how to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorsynapse View Post
    ...is it also plausible to use macro lenses designed for 35mm (which I have) for close focus/high magnification exposures on an RB67?
    Yes, absolutely. Damn near anything will cover LF if your bellows draw is long enough i.e. if you work at high enough magnification. Whether these smaller format lenses will be optimized for such high mag work, now that is another story; typically one reverses the smaller format lens (or enlarger lens) to do macro on the larger format.

I recall Per Volquartz doing some of his LF macro work with a little Nikon SLR lens. The main practical issue is the working distance... it may not be much!

Again, my experience is that any rb lens is pretty good for macro... from the fisheye through the longies. You will want an extension tube set. In fact, with an extension tube and the fisheye, I have done shots in which the lens is physically touching the subject. Just go nuts and experiment.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I plan to do that once I can acquire the new gear. My understanding has been that lens reversal is required for "normal" lenses, since they are asymmetrical, and optimised for long lens-subject distances on their front end. Reversal provides the same features for use in macro focus. Symmetrical lens designs used in LF (Symmar etc) and many "macro" designs supposedly avoid this problem. Since I have a very good 35mm macro already, my question was mainly directed at whether there are lens mount adaptors to us 35mm macros on the Mamiya system, since I have never seen one advertised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make one easily enough, start with a 90mm lens less elements, and add a mounting flange, Nikkor's stop down unless the lever in engaged, so simple as pie. Keith brings up a far better option however, Mamiya's RB lenses are sadly underestimated in terms of performance. I believe Keith referred to my crazy experiments, this being the culmination:

Mounting the lens isnt' terribly hard, the rotating back only marginally harder. I built this for a specific project that needed movements. The key to firing the Mamiya lens is the mirror lock up function, when released in MLU mode, the shutter closes, aperture stops down and then relies on the cable release cocentric with the MLU control to fire the shutter.

If you want 6x9, easy enough, just find a Graflex RH holder, they work quite well and with some modification of the rotating back (opening up the hole with a file) can be usable on the RB, without any of the interlocks of course.
    Last edited by epatsellis; 10-03-2009 at 09:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is something I'd like to try. I have a ~100mm lens that came off an old Ernemann Bob II folder - with a frozen shutter - that I'd like to try using for "vintage look" portraits on my RB.

Shooter
    35mm
    My first urge here is to thank Kieth Williams and Erie Patsellis for their patience and advice to those of us less experienced in their domains with LF and MF cameras. I am merely a novice with these issues, but have already noted a striking familiarity in these informal discussion groups (forums), where this and other threads repeatedly wander through similar issues, sometimes with contradictory advice. For someone with my background (formal science) these discussions are of sufficient sophistication to benefit from the kinds of formalism that earlier evolved within (what are now) specific "scientific disciplines."

Have your senior APUG contributors considered forming something like an online "APUG Journal" with editors, peer reviewers and an online "library" of technical literature on subjects that keep cropping up in multiple discussions?

Erie's technical adaptations (noted above) are essentially "inventions" that should be documented with diagrams and photos (for newbies, as begun here), and posted as downloadable pdf files that can be referenced by detailed citations (E. Patellis, APUG J., 2:1-10, 2009; or whatever). This would eliminate the need to rummage through cyberspace, only to find that his website currently cannot download to one's browser (as had happened for me here).

With people coming to "serious" photography from so many different backgrounds, many just now discovering the advantages of "film," and particularly its larger formats, such organization would greatly facilitate their transition to newer advanced subjects that have not already been explained repeatedly in earlier discussions.

To return to the current thread, detailed advice about creating 6x9 (or even 6x8) film backs for the RB and related MF cameras would be a big help, since these (rare or nonexisting items) are for many the only realistic LF options under current conditions. Most readers will, however, be even less familiar with the (suggested) "Graflex RH holder" and where to acquire such exotica.

Also, most recent recruits into MF will have come from backgrounds with smaller format cameras, and would thus welcome explanations of how their existing gear (macro lenses, bellows, extension tubes etc) might also function (occasionally) with the amazing MF or LF cameras they have just "discovered." This leads to the mostly unfamiliar zone of "lens mount adapters" on MF cameras for assorted 35mm gear. Someone should commissison/write/edit a review article...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, and...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorsynapse View Post
    Have your senior APUG contributors considered forming something like an online "APUG Journal" with editors, peer reviewers and an online "library" of technical literature on subjects that keep cropping up in multiple discussions?
    Yes, this is a good idea, and there are a few options. I am working on one option as we speak, but being a full time researcher-teacher myself, it's happening very gradually!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    After digging around online I have found some options that could impose less strain on the patience of regular APUG contributors, and perhaps not endanger Kieth's prospects for acquiring tenure. Existing APUG forums already offer a separate category of "Articles>how to>" that could function as semi-permanent reference points for future inquiries about hybrid LF/MF equipment modifications, so each does not have to be treated as a "new" subject in regular fora.

One possibility would be for Elie Patsellis to (a) flesh out his widely cited work on adapting RB67 lenses to conventional press/view MF and LF lensboards, (b) include some advide on how to make their shutters cock and fire with conventional cable releases, (c) get feedback from experienced reviewers like Kieth (and others?), and then (d) upload this to the APUG site. This article would thus remain available long term, even if his personal website (continues to) have technical problems.

Another obvious subject (mentioned very briefly above) would be modifications of various available (6x8 and 6x9) roll film backs for use on RB series and other MF cameras, where standard manufactured versions are either non-existant or exceedingly hard to find at affordable rates. One obvious modification (not discussed so far) could be a conversion of widely available polaroid film backs (now seldom used) into 6x8 roll film backs, if this is feasible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin