Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,392   Online: 807

Shooter
    35mm

Composing on Bronica Focus Screen

Hello
    I am new on here and am also new to medium format cameras. I have a Bronica SQ-A with a waist level finder. My question is: when I look down into the waist level finder at the focussing screen does all that I see end up on the film, just like viewing through a 35mm SLR camera? It is just that I was wondering what the faint square that is marked out on the (standard split prism) focus screen is for.
    Thanks
    dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will get everything. I think the extra lines are to hint at what you would get if you cropped to 6x4.5, that's my take. The lines that outline the square actually travel past the intersection to the edges of the screen.

Welcome to APUG from another SQ-A owning Dave!

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Dave. I just
    bought this camera from the dresded eBay and it is in good condition and said that it had had less than 12 rolls through it from new. It certainly seems fine apart from dust on the mirror and focus screen. I think that the mirror damper may have deteriorated and caused this so I may have someone do that. I forgot to ask beforehand whether it had an S or PS lens and it turned out to have an S but I have read that they are ok too.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding (from reading, not experience) is that there's lttle difference between the S and PS lenses in the middle ("normal") range focal lengths as far as optical performance. I think the PS coatings are supposed to be better, and I'm vaguely remembering that the S lenses may not have click half stops on the aperture. The lenses I have are all of the PS flavor, so I've not had any chance to handle or compare.

They're cool cameras, although certainly not something to stick in one's pocket!

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Dave, I think Dave T is correct in what he has told you. I'm an SQA owner and the lines on the screen are v helpful but I also use a 6x6.45 back too just when I decide.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PS Hi guys

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I think the PS coatings are supposed to be better, and I'm vaguely remembering that the S lenses may not have click half stops on the aperture. The lenses I have are all of the PS flavor, so I've not had any chance to handle or compare.

They're cool cameras, although certainly not something to stick in one's pocket!

DaveT
    Howdy!
    That is my understanding as well. The S lenses can technically do half-stops, but don't click into them like the PS versions.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin