Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,861   Online: 1073

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I've definitely got a lot to consider. Thanks for all the input!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Rolleicord, a Yashica, or a Mamiyaflex, probably. Sometimes a C-22 or C-220 can be had for that price. I lean toward the Mamiya, personally.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    >Best 120 Camera for less than $100

Reminds me of a cartoon that I saved. One panel. Sign: "Used Computers". Sales guy showing customer the goods. Dialogue: "You won't find a better system under twenty bucks".

Shooter
    35mm
    A really good question related to the original posters question is this:

Assume you are in a second hand camera shop and they have a simple fully functional 120 camera with good shutter, glass, and exposure system. The owner wants $85 for it. How much would you be willing to bid for a camera just like that on ebay? I realize this is the pig-in-the-poke issue and there really isn't a good answer but based on my experience I would say that you couldn't pay much more than $20 dollars.

The moral of my story is that if you go the ebay route, don't pay a lot and don't get discouraged if your first camera doesn't work out. You can afford three or four strikes at the cat.

Just for the record I normally carry a 35mm camera but I bought a $40 Yashica A a bunch of years ago and enjoy it a lot. I normally use it with 400 speed film to keep the shutter speeds away from the slow somewhat unreliable end, and to keep the aperture in the f/8 to f/16 range where the lens does a respectable job.

Denis K

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could also find a Kiev 60 or Kiev 88 with 80mm lens for less than $100.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got my Russian Iskra folder for about £60, which is around $100. The lens is a brilliant coated tessar copy, it has an RF and its reletively compact.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Well I've definitely got a lot to consider. Thanks for all the input!
    I was told that the biggest bang for the buck is a clean Rolleicord III or later.

I have owned/useda Argoflex, 'Blads, 'Cords, 'Flexes, Mamiya, Minolta, Yashica 6x6s. They are like little children, sorta. "Keep 'em clean and luv em for what they are."
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have to put in another good word for a Mamiya M645 SLR.

Personally, I went with a more expensive 645 Super, which ran me about $400, but you can get the older models for considerably less as has already been pointed out. These are hard to beat for price/flexibility. There's some excellent Mamiya lenses that go for very reasonable prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well perhaps I should clarify that the $100 is not FIRM, per se. I mainly just wanted to get the conversation rolling, which it certainly has! I've been contacted by a friendly user & thanks to his suggestion I'm looking mainly at the Mamiya 645s. I just saw one w/ 2 finders and the 80mm f/1.9 go for $168 on eBay! Sounds pretty darn good.

Here is my newest question though... why do the C330s and C220s, etc, go for so much more than the 645s? It seems to me that the SLR would be more desirable, no? Perhaps it's the close focus, leaf shutter, etc.

Thanks again to all who've replied!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the 'flexes that everybody said, or the Yashica-12 that I have, which has the same Yashinon lens as its sister cameras in the Yashica range. But my favourite is the little Agfa Isolette folding camera with the f/3.5 Solinar lens. Mine is a Jurgen Kreckel refurbished model, so the bellows are good, and it matches or exceeds the Yashinon on my Yashica ; no surprise, as they are both Tessar designs. I too have an Ikonta A (645) with a modest Novar lens, which can produce exceptionally good images with just a bit of stopping down. I'd happily use these folders as my 'first' camera, but they're compact enough to function as a backup for the TLR outings.
    Alex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin