Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,350   Online: 843

Shooter
    35mm

nikkor 50mm lenses for bronica s2a

Hy to all the experienced bronica s2(a) users: are there any really big differences in quality between the nikkor 50mm lenses (f2.8 and 3.5) and the similar offers by Komura and Bronica itself? Prices to expect on the secondhand market? I appreciate your opinion!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Aside from being a half stop faster, the 50/2.8 uses 77mm filters, which gives you more options for filters and hoods, including 3x3" filters. The 50/3.5 uses a larger, less common size (I forget, but maybe it was 82mm), and there are fewer options to the original lens shade. I've had both, and the 50/2.8 seems a tad sharper, but that could just be condition or sample variation.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks, David

Best regards

Emilio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both 50mm Nikkors are very nice. The 3.5 version does have, as Mr. Goldfarb described, an 82mm filter size. I used to have the 3.5 version and now own the 2.8 Nikkor and the 2.8 does seem a bit sharper to me, too. However, if the 3.5 was all I had, I'd be happy with it.

All I know about the Komura and Bronica 50s are that the Komura series was the less expensive line of lenses while the Bronica cost less than the Nikkors and more than Komura. Have never used these lenses so I can't say anything more about them.

-Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I currently own a Nikkor-O-C 50mm 2.8 (multi coated) and a Nikkor-H 50mm 3.5. I used to have the Nikkor-O 2.8, similar to the Nikkor-O-C, but single coated. My impression (I only got the 3.5 this summer) is that the 2.8 is sharper, at least wide open, and that the 3.5 shows more obvious vignetting. The 2.8 is very sharp, and I often use it wide open.

The single coated 2.8 is noticeably more prone to flare than the multi coated version, but the original hood is quite effective. I all depends on the lighting conditions.

Bronica also made a Zenzanon MC 50mm 2.8. A multi coated and very compact lens, which uses 67mm filters. I've never used, or seen one, myself, but it's supposed to be very good. I think it must be quite rare, at least compared to the Nikkor 50mm lenses, as they don't turn up for sale very often.

Trond

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the very informative answers, I appreciate very much

Bye

Emilio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a 50 3.5 but its boxed up and not being used but I can tell you that it is one of the sharpest lenses for my Bronicas. I have an EC and an EC-TL with 50, 75, 100 and 150. All are great lenses but alas, I seldom get them out these days....I'm retired.
    Tom Cole
    Macon, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Tom, for your kind reply.

Emilio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin