Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,518   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 645afd only good for studio work?

I am new to medium format and i am currently researching Mamiya 645 afd.
    In your opinion, is this camera more for studio work? is it ok to use it for everyday shooting. I hope my question make sense to you.

Thank You.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think many people by the 6x4.5 cameras for portability. So none of them are "studio-only" cameras. Heck, I even haul my Bronica GS-1 into the great outdoors and it's a 6x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My F4 is just as big and weighs as much as my Mamiya. I take them both in the field without any problems.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think the AF is fast enough for pictures of certain types of racing, otherwise it should work for just about anything.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whatever you're comfortable carrying is okay for field work.

I don't have an AF Mamiya, but do have a manual focus Mamiya 645 Super and all of its shooting has been out and about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a 645afd and a 645 pro, and I use them both in many different ways, they are very versatile. I'd definitely not call the afd a studio-only camera, it has many features that are very nice for the field. There are many super-fast lenses and high shutter speeds, and also a few leaf-shutter lenses.

The rb/rz are better suited for studio work IMHO than the 645s. 645 was probably invented for covering events e.g. weddings and such, that'd be my guess. But you can use all of these cameras any way you see fit!

In my opinion, the 645 pro is quite possibly the best deal on the market right now. Since I have the pro and the afd, I can tell you that I actually prefer the pro in many ways. Actually, I almost never use the AF on the afd, and anyway it only has one AF point and metering segment, so it's way behind what many 35mm slrs can do. The newest camera from mamiya has much more sophisticated metering and AF but it is very pricey.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I carry my mamiya 645af everywhere. I have some shots I printed tonight that I shot handheld in waste high brush on Saturday. It is definitely not a "studio only" camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    great cameras, for studio AND field use. Very lightweight, and IIRC, they take AA batteries, another + in my book.

great lenses too

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hell I take my RB 67 out on the field with no problem!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No such thing as an "only for X" camera. If it works for you, it works.

People complain about the RZ's bulkiness and assert that it is "only for studio" - yet I use it 90% of the time outdoors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin