Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,123   Online: 928

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The big advantage of the Hassy in this case is the exchangeable magazines. Would they help you a lot for what you shoot?

Is having exchangeable magazines worth the loss in negative area? If you want to print square pictures, then the Hassy has an advantage, but only in terms of wasted film area; not in quality. If you want to print rectangular ones, the Pentax has an advantage in that it requires a significantly lower enlargement than the Hassy for a given print size. (Yes, I know squares are technically rectangles as well, but you know what I mean.)

As for quality of the optics, I would look at qualities versus quality. They both have fine lenses from a technical standpoint. The key is in that which cannot be quantified. FWIW, nothing I have shot or seen from a Hassy with Zeiss glass blows me away any more than anything I have shot with my Mamiya TLRs, Mamiya Super 23, RZ-67, etc. I find that my Mamiya TLRs have the most unique "signature" out of all my medium format cameras (except maybe my Brownie, of course). Very "3D"...quite like my favorite Barnack Leica lenses. This is a matter of taste, however.

Eye-level versus waist-level viewing is a non issue in this case. Both camera systems have either method as an option. The only issue I can see with WLFs is doing verticals with the Pentax. Personally, I would have a prism on both of the cameras. Wish I had one for my RZ!

As far as what I would do: I would shoot with both if I had them, but I would not get rid of the Pentax in order to purchase the Hassy. I would in no way view the Hassy as a replacement for the Pentax; just an addition to the tool box.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you borrow or rent a Hasselblad? That might help you decide.

Do you use the zone system or multiple types of film? The interchangeable backs really help if you do.

Would you like to use fill flash? The leaf shutters in (most of) the Hasselblad lenses make fill flash much more practical.

Don't you love it when people answer a question with more questions?

More seriously, it is important to concentrate on the differences between the systems, as well as the peculiarities of the ergonomics.

Personally, the ergonomics of the Hasselblad don't suit me, but they may fit you like a glove.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, of course, Matt: I forgot to list that the other big advantage (for certain pix) is the leaf shutters in Hassies. I don't automatically think of this as an advantage over 6x7 because I am used to an RZ, not a Pentax 67, so I assume leaf shutter for 6x7 format.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wayne,
    I have both a Hasselblad and a Pentax 67II. I love them both, but I got the Pentax for one reason: focal plane shutter. I can put any glass I want on the front.
    I've made an adapter for the Pentax so I can use my old small petzval lenses. It works great. My website has several images done with that setup.
    So, I mostly use the Pentax now.
    Hasselblads are expensive. I'm not sure you'll see much difference in image quality, especially considering your scanner method. I've thought often of selling my Hassy stuff, but it was my first real serious camera, so I just can't. Plus I bought it new....
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, what small petzvals do you use? I'm trying to get one to fit my Hasselblad 201f with focal plane shutter.... Curious what small petzval sI should look out for?
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yes, of course, Matt: I forgot to list that the other big advantage (for certain pix) is the leaf shutters in Hassies. I don't automatically think of this as an advantage over 6x7 because I am used to an RZ, not a Pentax 67, so I assume leaf shutter for 6x7 format.
    I have the 90mm Leaf Shutter lens for my 6x7.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    many years ago i decided i want a hassy, and in those days it was 600 dollars, which was still alot of money . I decided i couldn't afford that price and kept putting it off until sometime in the late 70's i decided i really did want this camera. So i bought it, but then it was a lot more money, something in the 2400 range with a few extra's thrown in for what ever reason.

I must have shoot three rolls of film when i realized i didn't like this camera. I don't think square and it just didn't feel right (for me). So i packed it up in the orginal boxes and put it away, not really knowing what i wanted to do about getting rid of the camera.

Then in the mid 80's i ended up selling it for more than i paid, (always a good thing).

The point being, i never missed it and as good luck would have it, i didn't lose money.

My favorite 120 film camera, a Plaubel Makina. So, i still can have a large size negative along with a camera that i love to handle.

I would sugges you try to borrow one or go rent one for a long weekend and really get a feel for the camera and how it handles .
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Stay with the Pentax. Don't expect higher image quality from the Hasselblad. If you absolutely want to burn some money, add the 75mm f2.8 ASPH and the 300mm f4 ED to you setup. These latest Pentax 67 offerings are simply amazing. Or even better, add a Goetschmann 6x7 slide projector and be overwhelmed by the experience a 6x7 slide show offers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Andrew,
    A lot of the small petzvals are not marked. I think the ones I have are projection lenses. You might ask Jim Galli about these small lenses. He is an expert and often comes up with them for sale.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Venchka,

Although I've been a photographer for many years, I hesitated buying a Hassy for one reason or another. I have a Mamiya C330 (which I love) and didn't really feel the need for another 6x6. I ended up buying a Hassy 500/CM with an 80mm and a 250mm lens a year ago at a camera show and it has become my main shooter at this point. I can't say enough good things about the camera and the glass. If you're still on the fence about a Hassy, I can only say that it may (hopefully will) be a great addition to your camera collection.

Ash

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin