Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,548   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone ever use 220 in a Rolleiflex?

Just wondering if anyone has done this.
    Of course the advance counter would not register but I have to think you good folks have at least tried.
    Best,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't Rolleiflex's take 220 ? the newer 60's models onwards anyway, and have counters to 24. I think mine does, even my Yashicamat 124 takes 220

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, I have a 3.5E
    The only manual I've found is for the 2.8 Standard so I'm a bit leary of taking that for fact for the 3.5E
    I see that KEH has a "kit" for 24 exposures as well as 16 but I'm not sure what that is.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My former MX-EVS had a small red button on the side to be able to reset the counter to zero, which as far as I understand it, was a factory conversion of the camera to be able to use 220 film. I never used 220 in it and had to be careful not to push the button. It caused a bit of grief until I understood what it was for.

BTW, the kits you speak of, Tom, are for making 16 and 24 exposures (smaller size) on 120 film.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 10-09-2009 at 08:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, there's 3 versions of the 3.5E, Dan at AntiqueCameras has a model identification list, but it's on other sites as well. Mine's a 3.5E 3

Just checked and none of the E3's take 220 without a conversion, they ere built before the format came out. This site will convert them. New models after 1965 should take 220

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-09-2009 at 08:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: UPDATE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as I know some models had the possibility to take both 120 and 220. Changing was possible via setting a small lever on the back. SL66 definitely had it, as 3,5F and 2,8F did. Later in the 80s, when the use of 220 film decreased, this feature was abandoned, therefore later models like SL66E/SE and Rolleiflex GX/FX lack it.
    Benjamin

Oh, and I personally never used this feature, because 220 film is quite rare now :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The early 2.8F's and 3.5F's pre-date 220 film and on the list that can be converted so it depends on the date of manufacture.

220 was never very popular in the UK, I rarely saw it on a professional dealers shelves, I never used it and nor did any of the other photographers I knew.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can shoot 220 in an E3 without a switch. After frame 12 you only crank the advance lever to about 7 oclock and then reverse the lever back to the top to recock the shutter and it will work fine but you must keep track of the number. Another way that works with some Rolleis (not the F) is after frame 12 slightly crack open the door and then re close it and it will reset the counter to 0. One other way is to shoot the first 12 frames and then crank the film out of the camera and put it back in the start like a new roll and it will shoot 12 frames again on the end of the roll.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Dpurdy, I have what I believe is the E1.
    Can I still crack the back and then shoot?

Also, it does not seem like a roll of 220 "Fits" but I'm new to the camera.

Tom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sorry Tom I did not mean to write E3, I meant 3.5E. I am not sure if your camera will reset when you crack the door open, you will have to test it once. The 220 film should fit because it is the same size as the 120 film. With 220 film they don't run the paper backing the whole way, they just have it taped on both ends. So when you crack the back a little with film in you will have to be very careful not to fog the film. Also if it resets to zero you are going to lose a frame when you advance it to 1. There is a switch that can be installed on the E. It is not the 12/24 switch you normally see, it is a little button up by the strap hanger that you push to reset the counter. Harry Fleenor can instal it for you. Or maybe Krimar can do it for you since you are in NJ where he is. You can ask him:
    http://www.krimarphoto.com/

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin