Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,261   Online: 763

Shooter
    Medium Format

Annoying thing happened in the woods today.

Whilst hiking at Shelby farms today carrying my mamiya 645af, something annoying and strange happened. When I was leaving the car, I loaded a roll of film into the back, it advanced fine, no sign of lag or anything. Halfway through the hike, I switched the camera on and noticed that the indicator on the back showed two dashes instead of a number. I pressed the shutter, the camera fired, then the back began to advance like I had just loaded a new roll. This kept happening until the back reached the end of the spool and actually was trying to expose leader paper. I changed the roll, thinking it had lost track of the markers on the backer paper, the back did the exact same thing again. I noticed that the back would cycle back to loading whenever I would turn the body off. It became increasingly apparent that the watch battery in the back was dying. An expedited mile hike back to the car and a hurried drive to the walgreens ensued, with the camera body on to power the back all the while. I replaced the little cr2032 battery and everything went back to normal. I now have a spare in the bag, but I am wondering if there are any warning signs which would have alerted me to this problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I switched the camera on and noticed that the indicator on the back showed two dashes instead of a number.
    Warning enough, I think?

Carry 3 spares of those pesky little CR2032 batteries; two of my Canon remote TTL-corded flash controllers use these and I have lots of spares handy (for those, as well as many other things around the house and studio).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A good boyscout is always prepared.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good boyscout is always prepared.
    ... with a Mamiya RB67 backup, no batteries required.

When I was photographing in Hawaii I had my Mamiya 645 all ready to go with cable release attached and film loaded. The first frame of a huge tree root went fine, I advanced the film again and the shutter just fired, I did it again and it fired after I advanced again, and again, and again. I was ready to quit and when I started to take the cable release off I noticed that it was depressed and the lock was on. I have an entire roll of that tree root.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am always very careful to make sure the camera is set to single, not continuous. I am going to buy another pack of 2032 Batteries and put them in my bag. I always carry 12 AA batteries (Sanyo Enerloop), so might as well add a couple more ounces of weight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a ritual with the 645af: as a way of saving battery power, I set the focus to manual and leave it there unless I *really* think I need AF.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ... with a Mamiya RB67 backup, no batteries required.
    Batteries need not apply for Hasselblad A12, A24, A16, or A32 backs.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin