Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,991   Posts: 1,633,122   Online: 1063

Shooter
    35mm

Hasselblad 501CM A12 back

After spending a morning making wonderful photographs with an empty film back. it was pointed out to me that the latch for the film magazine incorporated a nice reminder indicating whether the back was empty or loaded. I don't recall which was witch, red or silver, but my back is showing red all the time. Have I just gotten something out of synch? If this requires a trip to the Hasselblad Doctor I'll leive without it and be more careful. I actually have already adopted my own indicator: Reversing (blank side) the box end in the film reminder holder thingie on the back.

Is there a quick fix? Which color is which? Thanks!

Looks like I'll be keeping the 501cm/80mm for awhile longer.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All red is empty.

Take the insert out of the shell, and push against the silver blade spring on the feed spool side.
    That pushes against a feeler rod, which (through a rack and pinion mechanism) rotates the indicator dial.
    Later magazines have a round 'column' with rolling top that pushes against the spool, instead of the blade spring.

If nothing happens when you push, i.e. the dial doesn't rotate, the thing has become dislodged.

It is one of those things that is not difficult to fix, but you must know how, and it is difficult to explain just that.
    The top, where the retaining arms/bar (depending on age of the back) are, must come off, and then you can reposition the thingies. Putting it back together again is a bit fiddly (the rod that is connected to the key and locks the insert in the shell must be repositioned), but doable.

The indicator, by the way, is not a precise one.
    It goes from red to white/silver as the feed roll diameter reduces. But apart from telling that there is something pushing against the feeler behind the spring, which is getting thinner, it provides no more detailed info.

So something that you could live without, i.e not something that you necessarily need to get fixed in a hurry (if at all).

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! Now that I know how to work around it, I think I'll leave it alone.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It is your M5 that has spoilt you as all my best M2 shots are made with a lens cap on.

No little needle to warn me the cap is on...

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    I double checked last night. Everything is working correctly. No excuse for picking up and using an empty film magazine.

Thanks everyone! It's Yamboree weekend in Gilmer, Texas!
    Wayne
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I double checked last night. Everything is working correctly. No excuse for picking up and using an empty film magazine.
    You only have two more mistakes to make before you get your membership card: loading the film backward, and pulling a loaded cassette out of the back to see if there is film loaded.

Shooter
    35mm
    LMAO! Thanks Brian. I'll be chuckling all afternoon as I drive north. I did forget the film in the fridge this morning. I have to stop off at the apartment and get it.
    Wayne
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin