Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,447   Online: 1084

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timk View Post
    I'd side with the RZ/RB because I like the format of 6x7 alot better than 6x6
    The Bronica GS-1 is a 6x7cm camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so it is!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timk View Post
    the mamiya RZ/RB's are absolute tanks. bigger and heavier than the bronnies.
    This is very true. My tripod turned over this last weekend and my RB67 went into the water. The camera is ok, the waist level finder is smashed, but the rest of the camera is a true tank.

I would suggest an RB67 and a hand-held light-meter so you don't have to mess with batteries and a lot of electronics. The lenses are wonderful and the revolving back makes it a joy to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an RZ67 ProII and couldn't be happier with it. I bought most of my kit from KEH. Don't listen to anyone who says it's a pain to shoot hand held. I use mine hand held almost 100% of the time. I even take it onto the subway here in LA and take candid shots with it (using Delta 3200). If you need a good, factory trained repair guy on the west coast, email me and I'll give you the info...he's in LA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mamiya & Bronica are my 2 favorite MF cameras and I've been using both for years. Mamiya is more modern and more reliable from my experience at least. But when it comes down to it I find myself using my Bronica's more often. I love the look and feel of my Chrome Bronica ETR w/ custom bracket but there's just something romantic if you will about the old Bronica-S that keeps me using it every chance I get.
    Aside from the "feel-good" aspect of Bronica, Mamiya is a more logical choice.
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    35mm
    One thing not discussed yet is that one of the biggest sacrifices you will be making should you choose MF over LF is camera movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by applesanity View Post
    One thing not discussed yet is that one of the biggest sacrifices you will be making should you choose MF over LF is camera movements.
    And therein lies the rub. And i've benn wrestling with that for several months.

Chamonix 4x5 vs. RZ67

Well, I took a dip. I won a bid for a RZ67 120 back on ebay, so I'm leaning MF for the moment but the Chamonix 45n-1 is an impressive camera for the price range. The Chamonix 45n-1's scheduled repacement next year is still in contention.

I've been looking forward to trying my hand at night photography with a MF camera. I've handled the RZ67 and the weight feels good. I could see using it with a good neck strap for handhelds. Heck, I've seen people get excellent results that way. And if I need long exposures, I can just put it on a tripod just as I would any camera.

In any case, I'm ready to extend my photography beyond 35 mm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin