Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,724   Online: 852

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an article that gets a little more detailed than most, though the dismissive critique from some curator feels a little premature, considering there are still so many pictures of hers to review. I think by the time it's said and done, she may well have found a place in the history of photography books.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...-Photographer/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for sharing the article.

I find it a fascinating detective story. I hope Maloof and his Columbia College friend actually get their documentary produced (they probably need to pitch the right writers/filmmakers for this, and not try to do it all themselves). As for Colin Westerbeck, I completely agree that his quick judgmental assessment of Maier -- as a mere "participant" in her photography -- is without full merit. Her entire archive is yet to be studied and assessed historically, culturally, and aesthetically, within the social arena of the medium. This does, in the end, present itself as the ideal, turn-key doctoral dissertation... and monograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't help but wonder what made her so aloof, what drove her to such a solitary existence.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. And maybe it's almost a prerequisite to producing truly stellar work on a whole other level. I just can't shake the vague feeling she used photography as a way to distance herself from other human beings, somehow.

I also think her work, even the small amount examined thus far, is going to prove itself easily over the coming years. She'll be right up there, or should be.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    I can't help but wonder what made her so aloof, what drove her to such a solitary existence.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. And maybe it's almost a prerequisite to producing truly stellar work on a whole other level. I just can't shake the vague feeling she used photography as a way to distance herself from other human beings, somehow.

I also think her work, even the small amount examined thus far, is going to prove itself easily over the coming years. She'll be right up there, or should be.
    From what I have read I don't think there is any reason to think she held herself aloof. I think more likely she was shy, though in her obituary written before her discovery she was referred to as a photographer extrordinare. Also I would say that the photos she made don't look like those of a distanced person. Also consider there was some 600 rolls un processed. This along with her job as a nanny would indicate she was pretty impoverished. It just seems to me that she was very gifted in sight and technique.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    My grandfather was an early adapter of the Rollei TLR. Some of his photos appeared in the 1930's Rollei magazine. My father, also professional, bought a Tessar Rollei in the early 50's. I have it, and it still works well. I don't use it much but I just sorta love the now archaic format.

As sort of noted, press photographers would often lift the camera overhead and look up into the ground glass screen.

I love TLR's!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I mean no slight against a person clearly more talented than myself. I should say I base my thought on a few exerpts I read off of the blog in her name...she was outspoken but clearly kept others at a distance.

That can just be a personality trait, or...who knows? I'm not sure that, at this stage, it even matters. What's left are the pictures. And they speak very well.

She sounded like a very interesting but private person. A prototype feminist, clearly very intelligent. It would be fascinating to go into a time machine, go back and have a conversation with her. Apparently she taught herself English from seeing the movies, which she was a big fan of (foreign films, not so much the American Hollywood stuff).
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolutely top drawer art photography. A great find and a big responsibility for the finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    great find, lovely photos, amazing story

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Paul Verizzo;1112506i... it, and it still works well. I don't use it much but I just sorta love the now archaic format....

I love TLR's![/QUOTE]

I would not consider 6 X 6 on 120 film an archaic format. Howard Tanger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kiku View Post
    I would not consider 6 X 6 on 120 film an archaic format. Howard Tanger
    Me neither... but then, I'm pretty archaic myself.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin