Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,345   Online: 974

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hasselblad Lens Issue

Having given away my entire Hasselblad system to a RISD student who needed it more at the time than I did, I have decided to go back in. My first acquisition, lens-wise is a 150mm Sonnar and a 500CM body, I notice that none of the 3 Proxars, the Softar or any of the 3 filters (all B50) will not close on the 150, which I think I correctly is attributed to the lens, not to the filters. How would any of you approach this problem? My belief is that I need to open up the bayonet lugs in the lens a bit..... but how.... apart form extremely carefully. Any ideas? caveats? prayers? don'ts? whatevers?
    My thanks
    Logan

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you try a different lens? I noticed recently that KEH listed several lenses with filter ring damage. It happens. Have you tried any of the filters on a different lens?

Good luck.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First, remember that it is a friction fit, with no point at which there is a positive lock.

You can't change anything about the bayonet lugs on the lens (you can change the entire ring for another one, but apart from that, nothing).
    So if anything the thingies on the fiters/aux. lenses need to be bend towards the filter rim.

But 7 filters needing adjustment? Must be something else wrong.
    So Wayne's suggestion (bayonet damage on the lens) would be the first thing i would look at too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only this one lens, so far...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The later CF 150 used B60 filters. Do you have that newer style lens or is it an old one that is made for B50?
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 80 has filter ring damage, Hasselblad filters will go on, but they bind and are a bear to take off. Aftermarket filters go on and off with no problem. The fit on Hasselblad filters is pretty precise, so if 7 different filters won't mount correctly, it's most likely the lens, as has been surmised.

One solution I have considered is getting an ugly condition filter from KEH, removing the glass and semi-permanently putting it on the lens. For my 80 the thing that holds me back is concern for vignetting, but that wouldn't be as much problem on a 150.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as i know, bayonet 50 filter bayonet rings are still available, or could be 'salvaged', from junk lenses.

They are easy to replace: the ring printed with lens and manufacturer's name is the thing that keeps the bayonet ring in place. So all that needs to be done is take it off (it unscrews - but take care not to damage things like the front lens ), replace the bayonet ring, and screw the type name ring on again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as i know, bayonet 50 filter bayonet rings are still available, or could be 'salvaged', from junk lenses.
    They are easy to replace:...
    Shhhh! If my wife finds out about that, I won't have an excuse to by an 80 CF !

But it is helpful to know, thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Uhm ...

Contrary to what i said before, the only option left open is to buy a nice 80 mm CF lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin