Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,148   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RB67 vs Hasselblad test shots

I had ask a question about setting up a test to compare these two cameras.
    My initial expectations was for the Hasselblad 500c/m w/ 80mm f/2.8 lens to show a superior result compared to an RB67 w/90mm f/3.8 Sekor C lens

I was somewhat surprised to find that there was differences in favor of both??

Here is the test set up.
    the test shots were made at the same time, one camera after the other using as close to the same exposure as possible. The shutter speeds of the two lenses differ a bit. And also a cloud may come by and the reading to get the same "0" meter reading might change.
    I used a tripod and bothe cameras were fitted with a quick relase plate so I could easily change the two cameras out without moving the tripod or changing the angles.

I used Kodak Tmax 400 developed in XTOL 1:1. Both rolls of film were process at the same time and fresh one shot XTOL 1:1 was used for each roll in a small "patterson" type hand tank.

On a side note I found that Tmax in XTOL was really nice and something I will try again. I don't normally shoot Tmax.

The negatives were scaned on an Epson V500 scanner using a Vista 64 bit PC. No dust removal, sharpening, or any other Photoshop alterations were made. I cropped one of the shots so that the format difference was hidden so as not to give away which shot came from which camera. The shots were only re-sized to comply with the posting rules here.

I can only post 3 shots so I want to post them together. I will try again later to post two more shots.

Can you tell the difference? which shots do you like best?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fr3-Paschal-850.jpg   fr3-Paschal1-850.jpg  
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just goes to illustrate how optical/mechanical differences in cameras and lenses often fail to produce noticable differences in the finished product. In the end, there are an almost infinite number of variables in play in the making of a photograph. Lens and camera specifications are only two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always thought "any camera" can deliver better results than most of us are capable of using. Nut behind the wheel theory.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The main advantage of the rb lenses, IMHO, is that they easily cover 6x8, and there is a 6x8 back; or, as I recently learned, you can put a 6x9 back on there too. I have also done fairly large squares... just shy of 8x8cm.... with an rb on sheet film.

One other point regarding the RB lenses is that there is quite a lot of difference in terms of coatings... there are oldies which are single coated (?) or maybe even uncoated, and then the newest ones (the KLs) have a coating probably more comparable to the newest T* lenses, I think. This issue could affect contrast and perceived sharpness, especially if you shoot without a hood.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the right one better (Hasselblad???)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canonman View Post
    I like the right one better (Hasselblad???)
    Or are you just guessing that because it's a square image?

Both of them are far superior to any scanned results you can show on a computer monitor.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I've always thought "any camera" can deliver better results than most of us are capable of using.
    Definitely. All of my cameras exceed my capabilities.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I've always thought "any camera" can deliver better results than most of us are capable of using. Nut behind the wheel theory.
    I disagree here.
    All of us can get every bit of technical quality out of any camera without any great effort.

You must be thinking of pictures of aesthetic merrit that deserve not to be spoiled by a not-so-good camera.
    That's a different matter. A tad more difficult.

And different from what the test is about.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should really look at these on a light table with a good strong loupe. That's the only way to compare results (assuming you looking at sharpness). You can't see results with a very small scanned image on the computer screen. Maybe center and edge portion high resolution scan sample from each neg?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Or are you just guessing that because it's a square image?

Both of them are far superior to any scanned results you can show on a computer monitor.

Steve.
    Well it's obvious the square one is the Hasselblad and vise versa for the RB image. That or the format was changed intentionally to try and trick us, which seems silly to me. I'd think taking a landscape in the RB and then cropping the edges would make for fair comparison.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin