Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,007   Posts: 1,524,569   Online: 994

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks everyone. From your advice I'm thinking I'll go with a 45 degree prism. Any differences between the PM-5 and PM-45? Look the same to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Thanks everyone. From your advice I'm thinking I'll go with a 45 degree prism. Any differences between the PM-5 and PM-45? Look the same to me.
    Brian,

I think the only real differences are as follows:

PM-5.............. 3x magnification (diopters need to be changed depending upon eyesight)

PM-45.............. 2.5x magnification, built in diopter adjustments (-2 to +1), saves the hassel (No pun intended) of getting different eyepiece diopters as your eyesight changes!

I use the PM-5 virtually 90% of the time, switch to the PM-90 only when using 645 format. The PM-5 with that 3x mag. wow, everything appears bright and sharp in the finder. Again only hassel is the changing of the diopters when my eyesight changes.

Hopes this helps

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The PM 5 and PM 45 do look distinctly different.
    Are you looking at what you think you are looking at?

In use, the two are the same, except that the PM 45 has an adjustable eyepiece, while the PM 5 needs a replacement eyepiece (or, unofficially, correction lenses added).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ira, thanks. I think I'll go for the PM-5. I'd like the most magnification I can get. And my eyesight is perfect (for now anyway) so I don't need to worry about diopter adjustments. Though, that NC2 still looks nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ira, thanks. I think I'll go for the PM-5. I'd like the most magnification I can get. And my eyesight is perfect (for now anyway) so I don't need to worry about diopter adjustments. Though, that NC2 still looks nice.
    Your welcome...

I used the NC-2 for years, it is IMHO heavy and bulky compared to the PM-5, plus the diopter change is a real pain (which is why I switched). The newer PM-5, the whole eyepiece diopter changes (screw out/screw in), while the NC-2, you have to change JUST the glass itself, royal pain.

Magnification is likewise 3x, also there is a "NC-2-early" and an "NC-2-late". Only difference I think was the way the cutout was made (rear of the prism) which allowed the use of a Polaroid magazine.

While the NC-2 is most likely going for pennies,... If I were you... I'd go with the PM-45, saving down the road on those hard to find and expensive diopters!

Once again, hopes this helps

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira Rush View Post
    Your welcome...

I used the NC-2 for years, it is IMHO heavy and bulky compared to the PM-5, plus the diopter change is a real pain (which is why I switched). The newer PM-5, the whole eyepiece diopter changes (screw out/screw in), while the NC-2, you have to change JUST the glass itself, royal pain.

Magnification is likewise 3x, also there is a "NC-2-early" and an "NC-2-late". Only difference I think was the way the cutout was made (rear of the prism) which allowed the use of a Polaroid magazine.

While the NC-2 is most likely going for pennies,... If I were you... I'd go with the PM-45, saving down the road on those hard to find and expensive diopters!
    No, no, no!

The NC-2 is less heavy, less bulky, smaller (less wide) than the PM-series prisms.

Instead of having to change the entire eyepiece (which you have to do on the PM 5, if you'd ask Hasselblad), the NC 2 (like the earlier version of the PM 5: the PM) takes additional, small, cheap (!), and easy to get (if you can't find a Hasselblad original, every optician can get you one for even less than Hasselblad charged) correction lenses.

You just unscrew a retaining ring, drop it in, and replace the retaining ring.
    Try to find a replacement eyepiece for the PM 5, and you'll soon now which method is preferable.
    (Luckily, you could also just change the glass in the PM 5's eyepiece - again your local optician is your best friend.)

The only thing about the NC-2 that could be seen as a disadvantage is that it will not work with Polaroid backs. You need the NC-2 100 for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a PME. I like the 45º finder and I do use the light meter. The light meter is very accurate. I use a Nikon F100 as my spot meter when I need one.

I found the 45º finder easier to use that the 90º finder.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about if you're shooting with the camera tilted down at a 45 to 90 degree angle or so with a 45 degree prism?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever viewing angle you are using, eventually you will find a tilt angle at which the thing doens' work very well anymore.

At 45 degree camera tilt, 45 degree angle viewing works perfectly fine.
    90 degrees, and more, up is no problem either.
    90 degrees down is. You'll find you need to be on the other side of the camera when you try. So turn the camera around, have the prism facing you, and it will work again. Though not as easy as normal, of course.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finally received my Hasselblad 501c with a PM90 prism. I love the camera, hate the prism! It's way too bulky and gets in the way of removing magazines easily.

So I'm planning to return the prism. I'm looking into either the NC2 45 degree prism or the HC4 right angle viewer. Both prisms are 3X magnifiers and also have eyecups which I prefer. the NC2 looks nice and simple and seems like it would be relaxing to use. The HC4 looks much smaller than the PM90 and would allow room to attach and remove magazines easier. Anyone have an experience with either or both viewfinders to offer recommendations?

Also, is there much difference between 2X and 3X in the viewfinder?
    Brian

I agree with what most said, the PM5 is a great finder, but if you can afford it, keep the PM90 too. I have both, and there are situations where the PM45 will not be of much use to you (camera high on tripod). Also, I think the waist-level finder is underrated. While having the other finders, I still use the waist-level finder the most. It's the classic Hasselblad finder!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin