Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,331   Online: 786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RZ67 lens disassembly

I just got a 150mm lens for my newly acquired RZ67 body. It's in perfect condition, aside from the ridiculous amount of dust between the lens elements (which is why I got such a good deal on it...). So I figured, I'll just take it apart and blow the dust out. Easier said than done, it seems. I've got a 90mm K/L and had a 127mm K/L for the RB67, which are essentially the same lenses as the Sekor-Z, and I was easily able to disassemble those. I've got a spanner wrench that easily unscrewed the rear element on the 90mm K/L, but it won't move on the RZ lens, even when I used a terrifyingly dangerous amount of force extremely close to perfect glass. I'm stumped as to how to remove the front element, as well. Am I missing something here? Are the threads on the RZ lenses perhaps reversed just to mess with me? Does anyone have a copy of the lens repair manual they're willing to share?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you have a dust-free positive-pressure clean room in your home? Then are you sure you won't make things worse by trying to fix what ain't broke?

Are we talking Tut's-tomb dust levels here?What image problems is this dust causing?

This to me falls under the leave-well-enough-alone category.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, but i have no idea how to get into these lenses.

But on the "positive-pressure clean room" thingy, which ranks very high on the exaggeration scale:
    If you're able to get the dust of your front lens without a clean room environment, you'll also be able to get the dust of any other lens surface as well.

When you can figure out how to get inside the lens, go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Do you have a dust-free positive-pressure clean room in your home?
    We have them at work but I have never thought about doing lens repairs in there.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's certainly not a "tut's tomb" level of dust, but its enough to the point that I can see a difference in the viewfinder compared to the 90mm K/L I have. The inside is noticeably much dustier than the front and rear elements after blowing the dust off with a can of compressed air.

If nobody here can tell me how to crack the thing open, I'll probably have to blow $20 on a copy of the repair manual on ebay. The thing that concerns me, though, is that the only lens repair manual I found lists all but a few of the lenses. One of those not included is this 150mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take the rear cell out of the back, it unscrews like a light bulb in one piece. That inside surface of the rear cell can be cleaned with denatured alcohol n a good cleaning cloth, not paper. Now you will have access through the shutter to the back surface of the front cell. Try blowing it out with caned air, don't use liquid cleaners here since this will just make the situation worse if it gets into the shutter n iris.

If you have a floating lens and it has dust in the front part of the cell, leave it alone, it will require a pro to do this work. Opening this is asking for trouble.

You don't need a clean room to clean a lens. You need clean hands, a good work place with good light and proper tools.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Take the rear cell out of the back, it unscrews like a light bulb in one piece. That inside surface of the rear cell can be cleaned with denatured alcohol n a good cleaning cloth, not paper. Now you will have access through the shutter to the back surface of the front cell. Try blowing it out with caned air, don't use liquid cleaners here since this will just make the situation worse if it gets into the shutter n iris.

If you have a floating lens and it has dust in the front part of the cell, leave it alone, it will require a pro to do this work. Opening this is asking for trouble.

You don't need a clean room to clean a lens. You need clean hands, a good work place with good light and proper tools.

What exactly are the proper tools? I've got a spanner wrench that seemed to work with my K/L lenses, but the RZ lens I've got is impossible to unscrew. Is there a better tool for this job?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I know at least the RZ back use reverse threads on some parts just to make home fiddling that much more of a head scratcher ...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re:front element Remove the decorator ring with a rubber stopper & access the spanner rings.
    Take a rubber stopper with the edge held at an angle, & rotate anti-clockwise.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was able to get the front off, but not the back. Is denatured alcohol the same thing as isopropyl alcohol or some other substance, or will I have to go to the store and find a bottle labeled "denatured alcohol"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin