Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,745   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

(In red: the viewfinder image. In black the image as recorded on film.)

The parallax is always the same, no matter how close or far away your subject.
    So always 12.5 cm on top, always 5 cm extra on both left and right, and always 3 cm too little down below.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Q.G.

Does this pertain to the Voigtlander right angle viewfinder as well?

How do photographers who use the VL VF find the VF image to match what is caught on the final photo?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
    Thanks Q.G.

Does this pertain to the Voigtlander right angle viewfinder as well?
    Don't know. Sorry!
    But probably not. The numbers will be different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post

(In red: the viewfinder image. In black the image as recorded on film.)

The parallax is always the same, no matter how close or far away your subject.
    So always 12.5 cm on top, always 5 cm extra on both left and right, and always 3 cm too little down below.
    This figure has always confused me. The focal plane is 2.25" by 2.25" or 56cm x 56cm. So where do I measure 12.5 cm or 5" from.

Would you please be a bit more verbose in describing how to apply this figure?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You measure from the edge of what you see through the viewfinder.
    When you frame something in the viewfinder, what you see is the red outline, what you get on film is the black outline.
    No matter how large the field of view, i.e. how wide the thing that fills the finder from left to right and top to bottom, the finder image always shows an extra 5 cm on either side, [etc.].

[P.S. Should i add a "read the manual" here too? ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You measure from the edge of what you see through the viewfinder.
    When you frame something in the viewfinder, what you see is the red outline, what you get on film is the black outline.
    No matter how large the field of view, i.e. how wide the thing that fills the finder from left to right and top to bottom, the finder image always shows an extra 5 cm on either side, [etc.].

[P.S. Should i add a "read the manual" here too? ]
    The manual is not all that clear either. How far away from the lens are you making the measurements?

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll try to be more clear.
    Say you frame a square poster on a wall somewhere, such that it fits exactly in the viewfinder.
    What you get on film differs from what you see by the amounts in the diagram: the poster has been cropped by 5 cm on both left and right sides, by 12.5 cm on top, and you'll see a strip of the wall below the poster measuring 3 cm.

Now if that poster is 1 m, you'll only get 1 m - 5 cm - 5 cm = 0.9 m of it on film, left to right.
    You'll be missing 12.5 cm of it on top - only 87.5 cm of it on film, top to bottom - but record another extra 3 cm of the wall below it on film.

If that poster measures 100 m (rather big for a poster, i know ), you'll get 100 m - 5 cm - 5 cm = 99.9 m of it on film, left to right.
    You'll again be missing 12.5 cm of it on top - so only 99.875 m of it on film, top to bottom - while again recording another extra 3 cm of the wall below it on film.

Or (as said before): through the viewfinder you'll see 5 cm extra on either side, 12.5 cm extra on top, but miss 3 cm on the bottom.
    At any distance from the lens.

You could look at it this way: the field of view of the lens is a four sided pyramid, going out from the center of the lens, getting wider the greater the distance to the lens.
    That pyramid is inside a larger pyramid - the field of view of the viewfinder - going in the same direction, with the sides of both pyramids parallel to each other.
    The distance between the sides of these two pyramids is 5 cm. And it is and remains just that - 5 cm - no matter how far away you are from the lens and viewfinder, i.e. how wide the base of the pyramid.
    The centers of lens and viewfinder are offset vertically, thus so also are the pyramids: hence the distance between the sides is 12.5 cm on top, and the viewfinder's pyramid's lower side is not outside the lens' pyramid as it is on the left, right and on top, but has crossed the plane of the lens' pyramid's lower side and is inside, above the lens pyramid's lower side. The distance between the lower sides is 3 cm, and that too no matter how far from the lens and viewfinder.

Hm... Perhaps a failed attempt to put it across in a more clear and easier to grasp fashion...
    Last edited by Q.G.; 11-12-2009 at 08:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let me get this straight. You are going to spend way over $1500 USD to get a camera without an accurate viewfinder or rangefinder. You're range and composition will be by-guess-and-by-golly. You will still have to hold the camera up to your face like you are taking someone's picture. And this for street photography?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It isn't that bad, considering the angle of view.
    It's wide enough for the field of view to be rather large compared to the viewfinder offset, at normal shooting distances, so accuracy is quite o.k. No worse than any other non-reflex finders.

I hate the guesstimate focussing much more.
    Relying on DoF may sound an o.k. thing to do, wide angle, and all that. But it is a 38 mm lens, and DoF really isn't that big.
    Besides, DoF is 'acceptable' unsharpness. And what someone else may find acceptable, i may find not. And i really like to have focus really there were it belongs.

So i like the 40 mm Distagon more than the SWC/Biogon.

I forget who it was, but i believe someone somewhere here in APUG mentioned the "Blik" rangefinders. I got me one, and though not a marvel of precision engineering, it is quite good. And small.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 11-12-2009 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, now I got it.

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin