Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,026   Online: 855

Shooter
    35mm

Rolleiflex and UV filters

Just bought a couple of UV filters for my Rolleiflex 2.8. I wanted the filters for lens protection and a little more flare control. Do you have to choose between having a UV filter on the camera or using the Bay III caps? Also, is there no way to protect the viewing lens when using a UV filter on the taking lens?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is the long and short of it. I have seen some people take a bayIII filter and file out one edge so that it will fit on the viewing lens with another filter on the taking lens. I personally keep a UV filter on my taking lens along with the lens shade and don't generally use the cap. I guess you would have to say this is one of the flaws of the nearly flawless Rollei design.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    UV filters (nor any other filters) do not do anything to control flare.
    Quite the opposite, in fact: adding two reflecting surfaces will only increase the chance you'll get flare.
    So make double sure there's a lens hood on the lens.

UV filters also do very little to subdue atmospheric haze.
    But are good lens protectors, yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've given this thought with my 3.5T. I use it mostly for landscape and outdoor tripod mounted stuff. I just put the cap on every time I move to a new location, no clear filters, I have a converter Bay1 = 52mm and use my Nikon B&W filters (I don't shoot color), and I block the sun with my hand or body to defend against flares if the sun can hit the lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin