Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 779

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: travel tripod

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have an old Velbon El Carmagne 640 CF tripod... very light and plenty stabile. I love it but it's slightly longer/heavier than you prefer. The 540 CF model will fit your criteria.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry.Manuel View Post
    Many will scoff and call it useless. For the past 6 months, I have been carrying this tripod with me on my bike:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/18053

I won't claim it's a steady as my 055 with rugged ball head. However, it's the biggest tripod that I can carry all the time and certainly makes a drastic improvement over hand-held. It actually works better with Rollei TLR than with my M3, as the Leica has its tripod hole way off-centre. For travel, I invert the centre column, and it's only a little taller than a big stainless steel Thermos bottle. Cost was about CAN$120.
    I just saw one of these yesterday and was amazed at how light it is. If I purchased it, I would remove the "permanantly" mounted ball head somehow and substuture a RRS 25.

When you have to travel light, you have to make compromises. This tripod impressed me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    >I just saw one of these yesterday and was amazed at how light it is. If I purchased it, I would remove the "permanently" mounted ball head somehow and substitute a RRS 25.

Re: Manfrotto 7322YSHB

The ball head comes off in 5 seconds by loosening the clamp-screw. There's a necked down cylinder under there, about 2 cm in diameter; not threaded. The std. ball head actually works. As I noted, I find it OK with my Rolleicord.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I have an old Velbon El Carmagne 640 CF tripod... very light and plenty stabile. I love it but it's slightly longer/heavier than you prefer. The 540 CF model will fit your criteria.
    I too ended with a Velbon (but a 645 in my case) and it's a great complement to my Rolleiflex. The set (Manfrotto ballhead, tripod and Rolleiflex) is surpirinsingly light, and is very convenient to use !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the old trick of hanging your camera bag (or other weight) from the tripod to steady it. As long as wind isn't blowing the weight around.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    The choice of tripods is quite confusing.
    What kind of tripod do you suggest for trakking/traveling? It should support a Hasselblad or a Plaubel Peco Junior which is max 3 kg. Folded lenght should not be more than 40 cm and weigh not more than 1 kg without head.

Klaus
    A very real concern, especially if you travel by air, is loss/theft/damage. That's what makes inexpensive tripods like the Manfrotto 7322YSHB attractive. They're really best suited to lightweight gear but they will do in a pinch with a 6x6 SLR/TLR that's not flipped for vertical shots. My "old faithful" for travel is an aging Manfrotto 190 with a 486RC2 head. Overall, a borderline stable tripod is better than no tripod for travel; if anything, a light tripod loaded with a little weight is quite secure. Despite the insistence here and elsewhere that overkill tripod/head combos are absolutely necessary, something like a Manfrotto 190 is more than up to holding tanks like an Mamiya RB67 for travel. The cameras don't care and my shots are sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I compared the GItzo 1550T, the 1540 and the 1541. In the end, I bought the Induro C014T. I never thought I'd say that after seeing the Gitzo's, but honestly, I was very impressed with the quality, sturdiness, compactness and light weight. I set up all of those side by side in the store and actually liked the Induro best. As I said, I was quite surprised as money wasnt the real issue for me (having said that, the Induro was half the price of the Gitzo's).

It handles my Rollei 6008 Integral 2 with ease, which is heavier than your Hassy.

mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin