Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 707

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: travel tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format

travel tripod

The choice of tripods is quite confusing.
    What kind of tripod do you suggest for trakking/traveling? It should support a Hasselblad or a Plaubel Peco Junior which is max 3 kg. Folded lenght should not be more than 40 cm and weigh not more than 1 kg without head.

Klaus
    Last edited by luxikon; 11-06-2009 at 05:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two tripods I've been looking at are Induro and Feisol. Both have websites with specifications. KEH seems to have a lot of Demo or used Induro.
    I haven't seen either one in the flesh, but like anything else there are opinions pro and con all over the web.
    Gitzo also has something that would fill the bill but you need deep pockets. I've used Gitzos for years but always the aluminum, not CF and don't think there's anything that holds a candle to them.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Gitzo 1550T - very lightweight surprisingly sturdy and very compact

See it here

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have the 1540T, but would not consider that tripod for anything other than travel. It is well designed, but for regular use, specially in windy conditions ,it not up to the mark. I use it with a hassie and a linhof technica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Klaus I'm in the market for a travel tripod, the criteria though is small and inexpensive, it has to hold a TLR or 5x4 Crown Graphic / Wista, and fit inside my back-pack.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    inexpensive, strong and small/light are three properties that do not go together very well. You can only opt for two.
    Last edited by gary mulder; 11-11-2009 at 12:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    inexpensive, strong and small/light are three properties that do not go together very well. You can only those opt for two.
    And the one most important - steady - isn't even included.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Wee Manfrotto "My Tripod"

Many will scoff and call it useless. For the past 6 months, I have been carrying this tripod with me on my bike:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/18053

I won't claim it's a steady as my 055 with rugged ball head. However, it's the biggest tripod that I can carry all the time and certainly makes a drastic improvement over hand-held. It actually works better with Rollei TLR than with my M3, as the Leica has its tripod hole way off-centre. For travel, I invert the centre column, and it's only a little taller than a big stainless steel Thermos bottle. Cost was about CAN$120.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My travel tripod for MF is a Gitzo 1298 basalt tripod, which I use with a Giotto MH-1001 ball head and a Kirk Arca-Swiss quick release plate. I have Kirk or Really Right Stuff L brackets on all of my cameras and this system works great for me.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Gitzo 1227 CF tripod. I'm sure there's a more current model. It works very well as a travel tripod. Like Sandy, I'm a fan of RRS L-brackets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin